Installing OSX Leopard 10.5 flat image on the same disk as Windows

13 posts in this topic

The key is that the image contains the entire disk *including* the boot sector. If you're installing on the same disk but a different partition, then you need to *skip* the sector, because your the disk you're installing to already has one.

You can see the boot sector using a tool like WinHex. It is 32256 bytes long. There are two ways to skip it:

1) Split the file at that point, discard the first piece [Not recommended]

2) Add a few parameters to the dd command in the batch file provided with the image.

I will explain the second method.

1. Create a partition on your disk. (There a numerous guides on how to do this)

2. Run the dd--list batch file provided.

3. Take careful note of what the the harddrive and partition numbers are.

The output should look something like this

\\.\Volume{1d045dba-8ca2-11dc-a5ba-806e6f6e6963}\

link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume1

fixed media

Mounted on \\.\c:

\\.\Volume{0ecd4231-92dc-11dc-946d-00e04d135e9f}\

link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume2 (This is the partition I made for OS X. I know because of the drive letter)

fixed media

Mounted on \\.\o:

NT Block Device Objects

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0

link to \\?\Device\Harddisk0\DR0

Fixed hard disk media. Block size = 512

size is 160041885696 bytes

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2

link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume2

Fixed hard disk media. Block size = 512

size is 20447232000 bytes

Note the parts in bold. The first part tells you what object to look for. We can see that my OS X partition is on \\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2.

4. Decompress the leopard-x86.rar file.

5. Copy the batch file from one of the "write leopard-x86-flat-img..." folders to the same folder when the decompressed image is

6. Edit the batch file, and change the harddisk and partition values to match yours. Be very careful here otherwise you could overwrite existing data!

eg. The original file said:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 bs=5M --progress

In my case, I had to change it to:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition2 bs=5M --progress

These are the values I got from the dd--list batch file.

7. This is the important part. Change the bs=5M to bs=32256 skip=1. Like this:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition2 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

This tells the dd program to read and write data in blocks of 32256 bytes (instead of 5 megabytes), and to skip the first block of 32256 bytes (the boot sector).

8. Save the file and run it!

Depending on your OS, your could use BcdEdit or edit the boot.ini file and use tboot or chain0 to dual boot OS X. There are other guides on this site that show you how to do it.

If all goes well, you should be able to choose OS X from the boot menu once you reboot.

This method should work for other OS's as well, but I can't test it so I can't give proper instructions on how to do it.

Bonus tip: If you are running windows, you can install MacDrive and you should be able to view your OS X partition in Windows! This is useful for fixing the HPET problem.

you can do it on OSX with terminal as well..

/sudo/bin/bash

(will get you as root)

diskutil list

will give you the identifier i.e.:

/dev/disk0

#: type name size identifier

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 GB disk0

1: Apple_HFS Leopard 50.0 GB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX86 50.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Videos 50.0 GB disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS Files 315.8 GB disk0s5

I want to install it on the Leopard partition, so I will use disk0s1

in disk utility, unmount the volume (otherwise it will say it's in use)

then type in:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=/dev/disk0s1 bs=32256 skip=1

replacing the disk0s1 with whatever your drive is... it will chug for a long time and when you get your command prompt back it's ready for reboot...

by the way... this is my FIRST time doing it that way, so let me confirm it first before you try!!!

OK here are the results of my attempt as described above...

It worked, but there were problems:

1. It took a REALLY long time!

2. It resized my partition from 50GB to 16GB

3. Even though it booted fine (from my tiger bootloader on the main partition), it was a bit flaky.

4. It corrupted after a quicktime update (perhaps nothing to do with it) and would not reboot. Checking the volume with disk utility after indicated need of repairs, but it wouldn't actually DO the repairs. Ended up having to trash the partition.

I think if I had the time to try it again, I would use disk utility and make a proper DMG backup image and do a disk repair RIGHT AWAY instead of taking for granted that it would continue to work. it DID work though, so there is some legitimacy to this method...

• 4 weeks later...

Running dd -list led me to belive my Leopard Partition (Where i wanted it installed) was disk 0 Partition 6, when it was indeed Disk 0 Part 3.. Using part 6 gave me a quick error.. while 3 did Prefect :D

Just so u Know..:P

i tried it, but with out anny success so far. The problem i got is that tboot gets me a "No HFS Partion found" Error. I am Multibooing XP and Vista. and added MAC OSX to the Windows Bootloader.

this would be the fastest and easiest way of adding Leopard to a Multiboot System.

if i use the darwin bootloader and repair vista, all my users there dont have any rights and the desktop is prepared on every boot again and again.

Setting the OS X Parition active results in a HFS+ Partion Error. the only thing i need is to fix this without getting my vista crippled again.

Greetings

Doc

i could kill the HFS+ partition error by booting from an old Tiger DVD (Leopard will do aswell), and changed the partition flag via fdisk to AF.

now Darwin starts booting Mac OS X, but holds with a no disk error.

damn i thought i finally had it working, this weekend ill try it the otherway round, with installing Vista and XP after i set up Leopard. Although im scared that XP will kill the entire MBR.

if there is anyone out there who got a perfect tripple boot system, please let me know. I prefer the Vista Boot Manager, because alot of my friends would change to Leopard, when they just can add it to there Dual Booting (XP,Vista) Systems.

you can contact me via ICQ:177852264

Greetings

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you are gonna use this method to install the flat image of 10.5.0, then you should mind the following too:

Before you DD.exe the image to the partition you intend to install to, do the following.

(I'm assuming you made a NTFS partition, primary, about 20Gb in size, on the same harddrive as you have your Windows installed on.)

After using Partition Magic or something alike, to make the NTFS primary partition, go to CMD.exe (you know, where you can type in your DOS-commands)

Type: DISKPART

LIST DISK

(this' ll give you a list of available harddisks)

SELECT DISK (and following the number of the drive, in my case 0) : so it is: SELECT DISK 0

LIST PARTITION

(This'll give you a list of the partitions on your harddrive)

SELECT PARTITION (followed by the partition number you want to install to, in my case 2) : so it is: SELECT PARTITION 2

DELETE PARTITION

(Be careful not to erase your Windows-partition, or LINUX or whatever other operating system)

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ID=AF

(This will create a partition of the same size you had before, but now it's AF flagged)

exit the program

Then do the DD.exe with the modified specs (i.e. BS=32256 skip=1)

Now add the tboot to your Windows or use the other solution (BCEDIT??) for VISTA

You have skipped the first bootblock of the image, and now it's installed on AF disk

(By the way, I'm typing this out of a clean install of the image, almost everything working... :P )

GL!!!

• 1 year later...

WAIT! NOTES FOR NEWBIES:

1)

THIS INSTALL IS SSE3 ONLY.

This guide relies on the Leopard 'flat image' disc image, available on torrent sites etc. THIS IS SSE3 ONLY. If you have an older laptop it will NOT WORK as it is (without further patching).

Again, MAKE SURE your laptop supports SSE3 before you go any further!

You can, however, theoertically patch the Leopard install so it supports SSE2:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...t68077-100.html

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67996

2)

The top of the guide is a little unclear on the first step (after you have downloaded the 'flat image' of Leopard), if you're a newbie like me. :-)

DO NOT run the BAT straight away. If you do, without making changes, it can be very messy.

At the top of the guide it says "2. Run the dd--list batch file provided". Its quite easy to get confused and think this means to run the BAT file that is within the downloaded file, but it should read instead something like:

"If you have XP or Vista, get DD.exe and then run it using the 'run' command in your START menu. Use the command 'DD --list' to see what your drive allocations are. This will help you change the BAT file to be correct".

3)

Using the "--list" command in DD will list your drives as mounted by XP first.

That is, I have a C drive and an E drive. It lists these as HarddiskVolume1 and HarddiskVolume2. BUT as I already have created a blank, unformatted, AF-flagged volume ready for OSX, it does NOT list these at the top of the "--list" printout. Rather, at the bottom it lists the following:

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2

link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume2

\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3

link to \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume6

So therefore I would assume the info I need to change in the BAT will actually be this:

dd if=leopard-x86-flat-img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

toby

ilitirit, in your instructions when you say "windows" are you talking about vista? Or does this work with XP as well?

Also I have a somewhat related question- can you install 10.5 (using the boot-132 method) onto an MBR drive/partition? Or does 10.5 require a GUID drive/partiton now?