MBP Hardware Identification

limini

4 posts in this topic

I was considering a Firewire audio interface for my MBP 17" 2.4, and I've just discovered that there are serious issues casued by Apple's replacing of the reliable TI Firewire chip with a cheaper one from Agere. This is apparently true of the last MBP revision as well as all the new silver iMacs. RME audio has been discussing this on their forums as it's a show stopper for all of their Firewire products. Trying to find out more about this, I've noticed a lot of threads on the Apple forums started by people having recent problems with their Firewire gear. Coincidence? I've also read that finding a fix for this problem is the main reason why 10.4.11 hasn't been released yet.

RME says this is true of MBP's that began selling in October, and wouldn't you know it...

So, my question is how to find out what Firewire chip my MBP has. Are there OSX programs like Sandra, or SIW for the PC that can tell you exactly what hardware chips are in your system, along with their driver versions? The System Profiler is no help as it doesn't say what FW chip is in use.

Thanks for any pointers.

AGERE Firewire chip has the Vendor ID 11C1 Device ID 5901. Atleast on my iMac. I found it using the Hardware Button in System Properties. Or you can type in RUN 'devmgmt.msc'.

• 2 weeks later...