Uphuck on the EFI trail . . 'Magic Boot'

shoarthing

7 posts in this topic

On the irc channel Uphuck uses - irc.atlantis-irc.net - is a new channel [magicboot] & a link to a d/l of their implementation of [b21, by the look of it] the Darwin EFI-emu bootloader.

Appears to come in 3 versions, each with a fixed fsb [133/166/200] & is the package is designed to be used with their 10.4.9 releases.

v3 has FSB detection anyway, and it seems to work (at least it does for me - and I'm running at a pretty nonstandard FSB speed ;) 433MHz)
. . yup: I assume they mean these 3 versions are to support 266, 333, & 400MHz [to match, in Intel-speak, 1066/1333/1600 CPUs] rather than the 200MHz of the original.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that I don't know why they bothered to take the time to hard-code the FSB frequencies into v1/v2 when if they'd waited less than a day, they could have seeded the version with built in detection :blink:
. . I have no idea how much space [there is very little available] is taken up by the autodetection of fsb, nor how accurate this is [or needs to be for system timings]. It seems vaguely possible that other important issues like UUID can be tackled/sidestepped within the loader.