Problems Installing

Mark76

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am new here. So be easy on me.

I am currently studying a Degree in Computer Science and I feel I need to mov eonto other operating systems to get a full appreciation of my subject and to get needed experience in it (as some companies do use macs).

I have recently downlaoded and tried to use "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]" (as titled when I downloaded). I burnt the disk on lowest speed possible (6x) and used a good quality DVD-R.

I am comping up with 2 errors inparticular. One with my USB drive plugged in (which I want to install onto) and one without it plugged in. I have pictures of both.

First off, I will explain my system:

• AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
  • 2GB RAM
  • One SATA-II Hard Drive 250GB
  • One USB External Hard drive 200GB (want to install on this)
  • One IDE DVD Drive
  • Currently dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows XP via GRUB

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

Ok, the 2 errors I get. First, when I have my USB plugged in:

09112007106.jpg

And the one without the USB plugged in:

09112007108.jpg

I hope you guys can help me get tot he bottom of this.

ANY help is appreciated. I hope I can learn from this!

Mark

I'm presuming your CPU to be socket 939 and your motherboard is nForce 4 based. SATA is broken for the nForce 4 chipset and will not work. There is a patch available, search in the hardware forum for it but I think it's only applicable after the install; so you will need to install to an IDE drive.

I am on an AM2 socket type. I can't work out my chip set.

When I run CPU-Z It tells me that my chipset is: "GeForce 6100" and Southbridge: "nForce410/430 MCP". When you refer to nForce 4, do you mean 4xx (where xx is like 10 and 30 in my example?).

I ordered a IDE hard-drive the other day wierdly. So it seems I have accidentally solved my own problem, haha.

Thanks alot anyway,

Mark