I could really use some help...

GandS

4 posts in this topic

First, allow me to start off by saying thank you to whoever reads this and can help me. I am definitely very very new to this.

Ok.

I have a Compaq Presario c300 laptop. I just installed Jas os 10.4.8 onto it. Installed fine, only took about 30 minutes, and then i set the partition to be active in terminal and loaded the OS. Ok, no problem there. Now, everything runs great, but I have no audio, no usb, and no wifi.

I've been reading through the forums, and I hear talks of .kext files and using the terminal to change those files, and its all over my head. Is there anyway someone could possibly help me get those 3 things running? Wifi isn't a must for me, seeing as I have about 4 other computers connected to it. I mainly just want my audio working, and my usb.

If anyone at all could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

-Pat

Dear Pat,

if you are lost in the sea of OSX86-related information then I would recommend that you take some time to read through the OSX86-forum's main threads (stickies, faqs, guides, etc). It will help you understand the main aspects of installing OSX on a PC and also make things easier for those who wish to assist you.

You should also see if you can find your hardware in the so-called Hardware Compatibility Lists or HCLs in the Wiki section of this site.

Installing OSX does not require any special skills or advanced computer knowledge since everything is pretty much pre-configured but you may have to (at the very least) edit some system files which requires executing a few simple but sometimes cryptic looking commands in the terminal. A good place to learn about the OSX terminal is here: http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2001...rminal_one.html

Please remember that this forum does not offer extensive OSX86 technical support. Members here tend to give you a hand if they happen to have experience with hardware similar to yours but you're otherwise on your own. Luckily though, much of the problems are generic enough to pinpoint problems and find solutions easily. Just don't expect anyone to actually take the time to gather information about stuff they don't use and write tailored step-by-step manuals (that newbies would not understand anyway).

I encourage you to stay positive and to do some experimenting with OSX86. If you're lucky (and your hardware is compatible) then you may have a working hackintosh in no-time. If you're not, well then you'll have to either upgrade your hardware or do some major tweaking to your system files and hope for the best. Either way you'll find that the process will be totally worth it.

Good luck!

hecker

Thanks for the info. After spending some time with it, I was able to get my audio working. As I stated before, the wifi isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice. I appreciate the fast reply, and I'll spend some more time scouring the forums.

Thanks for the info. After spending some time with it, I was able to get my audio working. As I stated before, the wifi isn't such a big deal, but it would be nice. I appreciate the fast reply, and I'll spend some more time scouring the forums.
Hey, that's great! :wacko:

hecker