Wireless USB Wifi Adapter: What's best for Leopard?

keplenk

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have successfully installed Leopard in my Sony Vaio Laptop (Sta. Rosa). It has 4965AGN built-in wifi and its not working in LEO. I can't wait anymore! I can't change my built-in wireless because of a warranty issue. That is the reason why I'll go for USB Adapters ONLY!

What is the best Wireless USB adapter out there? It would be best if it installs natively in LEO. (Cheaper would be better)

THank you very much.

hi macgirl,

thanks you for your reply.

I found this USB wireless adapter:

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.ph...=88&pd_id=3

I think the chipset is RALINK (I tried to look inside the pdf manual)

It also has drivers for mac. Driver version is: Mac v1.1.7.0

SInce I'm new to mac, do you think this driver version will work on Leopard?

Thank you so much again =)

Hi Macgirl, thanks for your reply again. HOwever, It got me either cleared or confused. Are you trying to tell me that any USB wifi adapter that uses Ralink RT2571W chipset will not work on 10.5?

I saw two USB adapters that uses this chipset and I'm about to buy it tomorrow or tuesday. I'm going to buy it in Newegg and I just want to make sure.

I hope you could clear things up. I'm really sorry.

THank you again.

hello keplenk; hope it's not too late to answer, i've got a usb wifi key Dlink dwl g122 based on the ralink driver and i have to say that' working perfectly with tiger , leo and windows xp or vista . price is about 25 $

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have to wait till tomorrow before I buy this. By the way, thank you for informing about this USB wifi adapter. I found a wifi device here that also uses the same chipset as the DWLG122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...N82E16833147022

If it uses the same chipset, does it mean it will also work in Leo even though they have different brands?

Since you are having a good thing with your Dlink DWLG122, I think I'll give that a shot too =) However, I can't find anyone selling it at $25 =( Where did you buy it with this price? I'm really sorry for asking this but I tried searching google and had no luck. Its always $35 (USED!!). The brandnew are much more expensive.

Again, Thank you.

keplenk

I use a asus usb WL-167g adapter. It connects fine to Windows or Mac. I've never had any problems at of it being recognized when running the wizard that comes with it. Leopard or Tiger on 2 different Intel hackintoshes. I've also connected with an Airport Express and Netgear router.

@keplenk Ralink based USB WiFi adapter work with Leo, but I really prefer a Zydas based chipset, I get better reception less disconnections and ther is no re-plug problems.

I have both, but I use more the 3Com (Zydas chip).

I use a asus usb WL-167g adapter. It connects fine to Windows or Mac. I've never had any problems at of it being recognized when running the wizard that comes with it. Leopard or Tiger on 2 different Intel hackintoshes. I've also connected with an Airport Express and Netgear router.
Thanks for that helpful information. =)
@keplenk Ralink based USB WiFi adapter work with Leo, but I really prefer a Zydas based chipset, I get better reception less disconnections and ther is no re-plug problems.I have both, but I use more the 3Com (Zydas chip).
THank you very much for that tip. It's very helpful.Thanks again.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

I have successfully installed Leopard in my Sony Vaio Laptop (Sta. Rosa). It has 4965AGN built-in wifi and its not working in LEO. I can't wait anymore! I can't change my built-in wireless because of a warranty issue. That is the reason why I'll go for USB Adapters ONLY!

What is the best Wireless USB adapter out there? It would be best if it installs natively in LEO. (Cheaper would be better)

THank you very much.

Hi,

K-1500UN works

http://www.kozumi-usa.com/new/products/Wireless/k1500un.html

The driver for 10.5 works also works on 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Bye

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

THank you very much.

I'm not really sure how to define "Best", but I bought a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 and it works fantastically. Updated drivers are downloadable for 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 from the website (no idea about snow).