new attempt

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just joined the forum and am about to try PCwiz's walk-through. I tried doing it on my own (JaS 10.4.8 on VMware Workstation 6 for Linux x64) and got as far as the bootup screen after doing the entire very very long installation process. The spinning progress meter stops spinning and the VM stops.

In any case, the hardware is a Dell PowerEdge with dual Xeon Clovertowns with 4GB of buffered RAM, so I think the machine itself is up to the task. The host OS is Ubuntu 7.10. I'll be trying this again tonight, so if anyone with a similar setup has any suggestions, feel free to throw them my way. I've read that a lot of people have had issues, but there's also a lot of people who don't, so hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.

-Ray

Hope my guide works for you! If you have any problems, post back to this thread and I will try to help.

So I've followed the guide explicitly, and chose 'Windows NT' as the vm type. Attached is how far I got before it froze indefinitely (even let it set over night, as I thought maybe it was just taking a long time). My setup is in the first post.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I just read a different post regarding the VMware Workstation version, and apparently I'm using the troublesome 6.0.2 build-59824. I will downgrade to a different version and try again.

-Ray

post-150792-1194998214_thumb.jpg

Never had a user where it froze there. I am pretty sure that the troublesome 6.0.2 is causing the problems. Workstation 6.0 build 45731 is the best. 6.0.1 works so-so...some networking issues and sometimes but rarely freezing.

Ok, just ran through the install for Workstation 6.0 only to find that it isn't compatible with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy). I get the "unable to build the vmnet module" error at the end of the install script. I suppose I could get Workstation 6.0 for Windows, and run it inside my WinXP VirtualBox VM... but that would be silly.

-Ray

So what are you gonna do? Is Ubuntu the only OS you have installed?

Yeah, this is a totally Ubuntu machine. I have a WindowsXP virtual machine (using VirtualBox) but as stated above, that would be silly. I'll either retry the 6.0.2 install or wait until I can get another drive to do a true dual boot, unless you have any other ideas I should explore.

-Ray