Why is apple SOOO "closed" or "locked"

dsc106

4 posts in this topic

Everything... I see all these people having to make hacks and mods to get the finder to displayed folders first, or to turn on or off certain transparency or 3D features in leopard, or to change the application lights to red, or to the black triangle, or a million other things. People having to hack their iPhones to use installer.app and put on extra applications?

What's this about, apple?? Seriously, loosen up. Why not add more customization options to Finder, the desktop GUI, etc.? Why not let people use installer.app and open up the iPhone to more apps? Seriously, some of it is lame.

There's so much I love about apple products, but having to hack finder to change a view preference, or edit graphic files to change a simple color or transparency on the GUI is absolutely ridiculous, and these should ALL be customization options built in...

they would deffinately be more popular among us, but over customization can lead to user created problems, and that would happen alot with mac noobs

I agree.

I hate to sound like a conformist drone, but sometimes these huge companies like Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and on and on do know what is best for their users.

Customization is great for the less than 5% of us users who can handle our decisions and bad mistakes. We can fix them basically, but for everyone else, they may "customize" their system beyond "productive use".

That is a lot of customer service calls that they (Apple, Microsoft, Sony, or Whoever) would rather not deal with.

I disagree. I use Linux, and use the KDE desktop. Most newbies find it far easier, and more pleasant to use than Gnome, which is more restictive for customization. You can easily customize KDE to death, all through the KDE Control Center, and users love it. You can even choose to run a window manager that's not part of KDE, such as Compiz-Fusion, while using KDE. Its an absolute blast to have this level of customization at your fingertips natively (without the aid of something like Windowblinds in Windows).

No, people don't customize to the point that it's unusable. Most unfamiliar users tend to stick with what comes as default. Unlike Windowblinds users, KDE users don't tend to use wacked out window decorations. Maybe it's because the typical Linux user is more likely to have a clue about the computer they're using, compared to a Windows user? Could be. However, I have never understood why Apple is so closed about customization. It works with very little hassle in Linux.