Formatting is taking ages

Evostance

7 posts in this topic

Ok so I bought a new 160gb SATA hard drive and was going to install osx on it as a test run before i formatted it for windows

Anyway, boots into install fine. Says select hard drive. Now there isnt any harddrive ther but I was expecting that

So I go into disk utility and select my hard drive. Now correct me if im wrong

1) Select harddrive

2) Select it as partition 1

3) Choose format as Mac osx journal

4) Click options

5) Choose GUID format

6) And format

I left it running for about 15minutes but it still hadn't formatted. It was a blank hard drive so I dont get why it was taking so long

Am I doing this correct? or should I do something in the bios?

Under security is the topmost option selected? It should be something alsong the lines of quick format, and least secure (not that theres any data on it) It could also be becaause it is SATA. I know sometimes SATA can be a riyal pain. Hope it helps!

first.. if you have already an mbr partition you cant just format another one in guid partition skeme.... use diskpart as described in several guides to prepare a suitable partition for macos and then use disk util to format it

second, are you sure the disk itself is seen as 160gb capable in macos? if you see a wrong value it means you have problems with lba recognition and there's no fix for that

third, in top menus thare should be something to see an activity log or something like that, maybe you can see something usefull to troubleshot the issue