jmicron controller

smorf

14 posts in this topic

my upgrade to leo worked using ToH RC2 :-)

there´s only one major problem with my asus p5b with leo:

the jmicron controller doesn´t work.

after hours of seeking this forum and google, i guess it´s just a matter of editing the right kexts.

there was a jmicron patch for some versions of 10.4, but i didn´t find it anywhere to try it with leo. ideas anyone?

also "about this mac" shows a core2solo, but i have an core2duo e6300... is there a fix for that?

THANKS!

smorf

Hi smorf!

You have to edit the JMicronATA.kext.

The most easiest way for me is, to copy the JMicronATA.kext to the desktop, open the package content and go to the Info.plist. Change the string from "0x2368197b" to "0x2363197b" (JMicron368 Controller to JMicron363 Controller) and save it.

Install the JMicronATA.kext with the Kext Helper http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

Then the PATA-Drives on the JMicron Controller will be recognize by Leopard.

• 4 weeks later...

It actually works ... and also works on 10.4.9I've edited the kext on the installation DVD burned it and will now try to install on my IDE drive ...Well the DVD i've burned is not booting im getting a lot of EBIOS errors... anyway... i'll try again later ...

Well some good news here !

I've copied ToH RC2 DVD to my HDD i then have edited the JMirconATA.kext Info.plist and changed the string from "0x2368197b" to "0x2363197b burned that to a DVD-RW and i was able to boot and install on from my JMicron connected DVD to my JMicron connect IDE HDD.

I hope someone includes that on his installation DVD ...

Well some good news here !

I've copied ToH RC2 DVD to my HDD i then have edited the JMirconATA.kext Info.plist and changed the string from "0x2368197b" to "0x2363197b burned that to a DVD-RW and i was able to boot and install on from my JMicron connected DVD to my JMicron connect IDE HDD.

I hope someone includes that on his installation DVD ...

can you describe in a little more detail for this procedure ?

how to burn the JMicronATA.kext within ToH RC2 DVD ?

can you describe in a little more detail for this procedure ?

how to burn the JMicronATA.kext within ToH RC2 DVD ?

Hm... I'm sorry mate its too much for me now and on top of that i dont feel very confident about the

solution but there are other threads that explain in detail how to create your own installation DVD.

Here is though the link to the modified JMicronATA.kext.tar.gz :

http://rapidshare.com/files/75709038/JMicr...ext.tar.gz.html

I'll keep you posted here on any future tests...

I have always been unable to get my Jmicron controler to work on my mobo. How do I figure out exactly which string to use for the kext? I have tried both IDs given in this thread, the kext loads, but I dont see it in my list of extensions under System Profiler or any sign of the connected drive in Disk utility or anything talking about the port in system profiler.

if you have a windows running, go to the device manager and have a look in the controllers advanced properties. i can´t tell every menu pointis in english, cos i don´t have an english windows installation. anyway, just klick a little around, you´ll find the device-id and the vendor id there. the string is built like this:

0x[device-id][vendor-id]

which is in my case:

device 2363

vendor 197b (jmicron, stays propably the same on yours)

which makes the string "0x2363197b".

so editing itself is also easy... edit /System/Library/Extentions/JMirconATA.kext/Contents/Info.plst with vi or nano, seach for the string "0x2368197b", change it as needed, repair permissions, reboot and pray.

BUT... your mainboard DG965WH has some ata, but i´m not quite sure if it´s a jmicron.

if you have a windows running, go to the device manager and have a look in the controllers advanced properties. i can´t tell every menu pointis in english, cos i don´t have an english windows installation. anyway, just klick a little around, you´ll find the device-id and the vendor id there. the string is built like this:

0x[device-id][vendor-id]

which is in my case:

device 2363

vendor 197b (jmicron, stays propably the same on yours)

which makes the string "0x2363197b".

so editing itself is also easy... edit /System/Library/Extentions/JMirconATA.kext/Contents/Info.plst with vi or nano, seach for the string "0x2368197b", change it as needed, repair permissions, reboot and pray.

BUT... your mainboard DG965WH has some ata, but i´m not quite sure if it´s a jmicron.

Your right the vendor ID is wrong. But its odd. Linux identifies the IDE as a j-micron controller and its working is dependent on the code added to the Linux kernel that supported the j-micron controllers when they first started becoming a huge problem with ICH8 mobos.

I put in my vendor and device ID anyways and it still doesnt get detected... odd.

maybe the support for the ide controller is in one of the linux kernel modules that was written for jmicron, but when i look at the specification of your mainboard, i don´t find a jmicron on it.

osx/bsd and linux are quite similar, they are both "unixlike, but they are having different kernels, which means that you may be searching at the wrong end.

F-Didi!

TE QUIERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Works perfect with GA-P35-DQ6

my two ATA DVD units detected.

Gracias majo!

and i have in front my eyes...

>JMICRON

* Windows Description - Controladora est·ndar PCI IDE de doble canal
* Hardware ID - VEN_197B&DEV_2363&SUBSYS_B0001458&REV_02.......
* Device Category (Class) - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
* Enumerator - PCI

* Detected Chip Vender - JMicron Technology Corp
* Detected Chip Device - JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller
* Detected Vender - Giga-Byte Technology
* Detected Device - <unknown, id=B000>

* Driver INF - mshdc.inf
* Driver Version - 6.0.6000.16386
* Driver Date - 6-21-2006
* Device Status Flags - Detected, Present, Known, Not Phantom, Category Visable