slow perfomance

ohno66

17 posts in this topic

I get amazing performance with Leopard. I have a pretty nice processor and plenty of memory though. Specs listed...

Crappy Mobo

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

2 GB Memory

Crappy onboard video card

I used the Leopard Install by BrazilMac and I used the "Format & Make Bootable HD for Leopard" CD by Kalyway.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

well, my read support are at about 7MB/sec and the write support never goes beyond 3MB/sec when i look at it in the activity monitor. maybe its because i'm using ntfs-3g for my ntfs disks that contain most of my music, movies etc. but it seems like the systems HFS+ partition is just as slow. takes forever to start the programs, booting is slow. but the programs are working ok once they start running. everything worked fine in tiger though. otherwise i'm having decent hardware to.

gigabyte 965p-ds4

c2d 4300 @ 2,9GHz

x1950xt

2GB memory

a bunch of fairly new disks

btw i'm running my 'flat' release

• 3 weeks later...

My new install seems to be very slow and I can hear the drive churning away, how can I tell if this is just spotlight indexing? I see spotlight listed in performance monitor but it doesn't seem to be killing the CPU or anything.

My leopard install flies! Used brazilmacs method, and I actually score a few points higher on Xbench, probably just luck I guess. Mind you I have no NTFS drives, and my machine is up there, I know slow CPU, but both cores work.

I had issues with NTFS drives in Tiger and eventually just took Vista off my machine entirely and solely just use parallels now.

Well, it was mainly transfer problems specifically, I would try transfering files from NTFS to my HFS partition and it would go terribly slow! Also it would usually timeout while transferring. Mind you I was transferring over like 30gbs of music. Maybe that is why you have the slow performance, if you are using the NTFS drives frequently. You wouldnt think it would affect overall performance as the OS is installed on a HFS drive, not sure, just a thought though.You do have the option of formatting the drives as FAT32 which is fully supported in OSX and Windows, however there are limitations to this specificially you cannot have files larger than 4gbs. Read it up and check it out. I tried this solution and wasn't happy with it.Hope I could help a bit.Cheers and good luckAlso to check if spotlight is indexing just click on it, it will tell you. It is always indexing in a sense, but initially it indexes everything. Which sometimes takes hours.May be your problem if it indexing your NTFS drives.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean stuttering, slow response even when you typed in terminal? I have the same situation with BrazilMac, I solved it by disable one of my dual core.

did you get this error from the beginning?

i'm dealing with the same {censored}, but it came suddenly.... one day before everyting worked absolutley fine for about 2 weeks (ToH RC2)... even reinstall didn't help (but i restored from a time machine backup after install).

i'm doing a fresh install right now.. (at least i try, something won't let me this time... sucks a lot :))

Think of it like upgrading from XP to Vista. It will run a little slower than Tiger just because of the eye candy.

no no, not that kind of "slow".

it was really every 30 seconds a lag for about 3 seconds.... not slower performance, just i don't know... it sucked like hell ;)

i did a fresh install now without recover data from my backup... works fine.. seems like i have installed some very problematic stuff somewhere ;)