Linksys WPC54G - Freezes OS X when trying to connect.

2 posts in this topic

Linksys WPC54G v3.1 (Broadcom BCM4318)

Problem Description:

When trying to scan/select/connect to a network - either by using the AirPort icon in the system tray, Internet Connect or AirPort Setup Assistant - OS X will freeze and I am forced to manually power off.

Additional Information

The card is detected as "AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x48)" in System Profiler. However it is NOT detected properly by the cardbus icon in the system tray, which reports the card as "Unknown Vendor, Network Controller".

Currently using 10.4.8 with semthex's SSE2 8.8.1 kernel. The same problem remains in 10.4.9 with ToH's Universal 8.9.1 kernel. Used bcm43xx_enabler.sh to add the IDs in IO80211Family.kext.

Logical Deductions

PCMCIA must be working because the card is powered upon boot and a Ralink RT2500 card works fine with drivers. However I cannot use the card as it's faulty. (It intermittently disconnects, and does so in OS X, Win XP and Gentoo Linux on multiple computers.)

Could the kexts for the PCMCIA adapter be at fault? It could be in some way incomplete and so only works for some devices; which would explain why the Ralink card works while the Broadcom one does not.

I also suspected the AirPort software itself, but that does not explain why Internet Connect crashes OS X as well.

---

I'm still new to OSx86 and would appreciate any input to this problem. Thanks for your time.

OK nevermind. I've played about somewhat and it now works. I have no idea what I've done, so I'm afraid I can't help those who stumble upon the same problem, but I will try and test it on a spare HDD. (I do not want to break this install now, everything's finally working.)