[How To] 10.4.10 on Abit AB9Pro

callmecase

2 posts in this topic

There's a few others out there who I know are trying to install OSX on a computer with an AB9 Pro Mobo. The challenge here (I found) is the "waiting for root" error and it's mostly caused by SATA/IDE conflicts.

First, let me just say thanks to everyone who's posted here on the board with help and advice. The below was only made possible due to those who came before me.

Secondly, this is my first attempt at a How-to and I tried to follow some of the better tutorials. That being said, don't hesitate to correct me or let me know how I can improve this tutorial if it's lacking.

Finally, don't hesitate to ask a question, PM more or catch me on AIM: callmecase1 with questions!

I've tried to distill my experience in getting everything up and running including being able to dual boot with Vista. BTW - I'm writing this guide in OSX right now ;)

My hardware setup (setting the stage here)

- AB9 Pro

- 1MB mem

- Nvidia GeForce 7300

- 320GB Hitachi SATA HDD (on SATA1 master)

- 80GB WD SATA HDD (on SATA1 slave)

- Samsung DVDR SATA (on SATA2 master)

Getting started

- The distro I used was mac.nub's 10.4.10 release (see here for more info)

- This is only about 1.3GB so if you've downloaded others and wondering why this one is smaller, mac.nub didn't put a bunch of apps and other stuff on the distro (props to mac.nub for an EXCELLENT release!)

- I tried several other images without success, upchuck, XxX, JaS 10.4.8

Disk prep

1. In Vista, go to the disk manager (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management) and note the disk number of your OSX disk (mine was disk 1)
  2. In Vista, hit Window+R and type in 'cmd' to get a command window
  3. Type in 'diskpart' and enter the following commands:
    select disk x

(where 'x' is the number of the disk noted above) and hit return. You will receive confirmation that the disk has been selected.

4. Type in
    select partition 1

and hit return. You will receive confirmation that partition 1 has been selected.

5. Type in
    delete partition

you will receive confirmation that the partition has been deleted.

6. Type
    select disk x

('x' is the same as in Step 5)

7. Now Type in:
    create partition primary id=af

Disk Part will confirm that it has created the partition.

8. Now type
    exit

to exit 'diskpart'

9. Now you'll want to reboot with your DVD in the drive

BIOS settings

1. Hit 'DEL' to get into the BIOS menu
  2. Go to 'Advanced PCI options' (it's something like that, I'm doing this from memory but I will double check and update the tutorial)
  3. Change IDE emulation to AHCI (there's 3 options here, IDE, RAID, AHCI)
  4. Save and exit
  5. On the reboot, hit 'DEL' again to go into the BIOS
  6. Change the first boot device to the name of your SATA DVD (the AHCI initialization should have picked up your SATA drives)
  7. Save and reboot

The install

1. Now the DVD is in and booting, press F8 and you can see the distro name and enter any flags
  2. I just used -v but on a subsequent install I didn't need any flags
  3. When the install menu comes up, go to Utilities->Disk Utilities
  4. When the disk utility comes up, select the install disk (NOT the disk with Vista!!!)
  5. Click 'partition'
  6. Set the volume name and the volume format to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'
  7. Select 'Options' and set the partition to 'Master Boot Record' - this is important! If you leave it on the default (GUID Partition) then you won't be able to boot from this disk!
  8. Exit the disk utility
  9. Now you're ready to customize your installation
  10. Again, using the mac.nub on an AB9 Pro mobo as an example, here are the additional options I selected above and beyond the default selections:

• ATA & USB Options: ICH8-R, SATA, JMicron, USB, USB Generic
    • Audio: ALC882 (for onboard audio)
    • Networking: Realtek R1000 (for onboard lan)
    • Optional: IOATA, 10.4.4 Loginwindow

[*]Now you're ready to install! Select the destination disk set up above and sit back!

[*]At the end of the install, it will have you reboot but we're not ready to head into OSX just yet!

[*]When the system reboots, hit 'DEL' to enter the BIOS

[*]Change the IDE emulation back to 'IDE' - the easiest way is to just select the 'Load optimized settings' from the main menu.

[*]Save and reboot

[*]You're rebooting into Vista - WHERE THE HELL'S MY OSX!?!?!?! Not too worry, we're getting there.

Setting up dual booting in Vista

1. Copy the file 'chain0' from the OSX install DVD to c:\
  2. Press WIN+R and type 'cmd'. And type:
    bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

(just leave the {current} there and don't change it)

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set [ID] PATH \chain0

(replace [iD] with your identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)

3. Now you can reboot and you'll be presented with a dual boot menu.
  4. Just select Mac OSX and voila! Follow the setup instructions and you're good to go.

When I booted in the first time with the mac.nub release and the selected options above, networking, audio, etc was all working. You may have to play around and try different options for your video card. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7300 w/ 256MB RAM and the option that worked for me was NVInject 256MB and Apple 10.4.9 nVidia.kexts.

That's it, short and sweet.

Let me give major props to the following folks who's guides and insight were of tremendous value and from whom I stole some ideas from in order to create this guide:

1. Of course mac.nub for a tremendous release!
  2. Xeijin for a tutorial I borrowed from heavily in setting up my own system and writing this guide
  3. The fine folks at profit42.com for a guide on dual booting with Vista
  4. The forums here at insanelymac.com
  5. The osx86 wiki

Good luck and hope some find this helpful!

~case

• 2 years later...

Okay I realise this is old but I havre been running searches trying to find people with my motherboard so I can ask for some tips on installing 10.6 on this hardware.

Most recently I am running 10.5.2 Kalyway almost vanilla except I need usbfix to get usb ports working and some exotic ati kext for gpu.

I now need to upgrade to 10.6 as I have the latest version of Logic (audio software which only runs on Macs) so i really would appreciate some helps and advice to get going and install 10.6 asap.

I have the retail DVD (10.6 SL) and have already tried a retail install using a bootloader sv which doesn't work for me.

I also tried an image restore method from SL installation on 8gb USB key over the top of old Kalyway but then that would not boot.

Just thought maybe the OP may be running 10.6 and could share or direct me to helpful threads/posts I may have missed that work.

Thanks.