Mac Pro / Powermac Modding Project

regsys

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.

After a lot of reading in this forum, this now seems to be my first post. Hello everyone...

I have the ability, to buy a powermac or a mac pro enclosure...

I'd prefer to buy the Mac Pro enclosure, as i really love these 4 hard drive bays...

Now the question is:

Can i fit a mainboard easily into the mac pro???

(As there is space for 2 optical drives, it seems, that there is less space for the mainboard, right?)

Otherwhise, i'd get a powermac enclosure and fit another mainboard tray into, based on aquamacs hackintosh..

If you dont mind using a mATX board then the Mac Pro would be great from what I read, otherwise your better off with the Powermac Case as that can be converted to take a ATX board.

I Personally have a mATX board in a Powermac case (I couldn't find / afford a Mac Pro one) I only did this as I didn't want to have to replace the whole of the back panel, and it works very well for me :(

If anyone is interested in a G5 or Mac Pro case, over at scrumpymacs they have a whole lot to clear. Here is a link to their ebay website:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZscrumpymacs

The owner is called Phil and is a good guy, I have bought stuff from him a number of times. I am not affiliated with them at all, but it can be quite difficult getting these cases so I thought I would mention it.

@hero yuy: no, i wanted to built in a full size atx board...

the mac pro case takes a lot of chopping to get a full atx board in, I have the blisters and cuts to prove it, its not easy

thank you, that was what i was guessing....

so i go for the g5 case.

• 2 weeks later...