How to make secondary (NTFS) drive show up?

hotmonkeayc

9 posts in this topic

I did a seach but didn't come across anything relevant (eventhough I'm sure it's out there somewhere). I just got my dual boot working (yay). I've got XP and OS X on the same drive. When I boot into OS X I can see my Windows partition just fine. However, I have a secondary SATA drive that is not showing up anywhere (even disk utility). Does anyone know the reason? I'm sure it's something simple. Please help. :hysterical:

Yeah, I've read all of the Dell E520 posts...and I've got Tiger working (audio, video card, wireless, etc), the only thing that isn't working is that drive. It's weird, all of my other SATA devices work (DVD-Burner, primary Hard Drive), it's just that one drive that isn't showing up. Yet if I boot into XP it shows up fine. All of the SATA devices should be running off of the same board/chipset. Any other suggestions?

Ok, after doing some more investigating I've determined that it's only the later SATA devices that aren't showing up. Here's my configuration:

SATA-0: DVD-Burner

SATA-1: HDD

SATA-2: Not installed

SATA-3: Not installed

SATA-4: HDD

SATA-5: Empty

So the one that isn't showing up is the HDD in SATA-4. If I unplug it and put it in SATA-5, same thing. HOWEVER, if I unplug my DVD-Burner (SATA-0) and plug the hard drive in it shows up! So it seems to be a problem with SATA-4/SATA-5. I'm not even sure why the BIOS picks up SATA-2/3 if they don't even exist. Anyone heard of this?

It seems you have two s-ata controllers. normally (as i think) a s-ata controller is able to control 4 ports. maybe you mainboard has two controllers but only 2 ports on the board for each controller. and the second controllere isnt supported by osx. just a thought...