"still waiting for root device" error during boot

bern

13 posts in this topic

I am trying to boot OSX from an external USB2 drive (IBM GXP60 in hard drive enclosure), but it seems I am having USB-related problems.

[with USB 2.0 enabled]

I get "unable to initialize UIM" and "unable to halt within 100ms" [see " with_usb2_enabled.JPG" attachment]

It then keeps on saying at approx 1 min intervals : "still waiting for root device"

[when disabling the USB 2.0 controller]

I get "bdevvp failed: open/invalid frame pointer" error when I boot [see "with_usb2_disabled.JPG" attachment].

Has anyone encoutenred this problem?

Any idea?

Thanks!

Bern

Athlon 64 3200+, 1Gb RAM, Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 1011, Sapphire ATI 9800 Pro, and (ironically) a 20" Apple Cinema Display

post-7071-1124558388.jpg

post-7071-1124558436.jpg

btw, i used -v (verbose mode) to get the above screenshots, of course.

without -v, i get the attached. The square image in the middle appears on top of the apple logo after about a couple of minutes.

(i also tried safe mode + verbose -x -v but i get the same thing)

post-7071-1124561903.jpg

i was have the same problem

but i have fix it now

my HD is a sata HD

you need add a extra command before ./ditto -rsrc /Volumes/Untitled /

try enter the following :

cp -RLv /mnt/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/Untitled/System/Library/Extensions

i  was have the same problem

but i have fix it now

my HD is a sata HD

you need add a extra command before ./ditto -rsrc /Volumes/Untitled /

try enter the following :

cp -RLv /mnt/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/Untitled/System/Library/Extensions

you mean i should type that with the -v command?

you mean i should type that with the -v command?

no

on the following install guide link

http://www.xplodenet.com/?p=guide

at stage 9

cp -RLv /mnt/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/Untitled/System/Library/Extensions(make sure you are add this line)

./ditto -rsrc /Volumes/Untitled / (after typing this take a little break :( as this will install mac on darwin may take upto 30mins)

cd ..

DiskUtil repairPermissions /

mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.bad

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone (do not worry if this gives you an error)

reboot

here's what made me pass the 'still waiting for root device' (you can see more details in my other post here http://www.360hacker.net/forums/viewtopic....=asc&start=30):

- need to boot in platform=X86PC

- need to disable my IDE1 channel (got 2 HDs there, one of them being my XP bootable)

- need to have AppleTPMACPI.kext !!! --> I used to delete this, but it seems like i need to have it to fix this issue.

Hope that'll work for some of you as well!

Thanks for all your replies.

I started by trying to vary the root device boot parameter - rd=diskXsY, and got different messages with different combinations of X and Y.

Something different happened with rd=disk2s1 (probably because the external drive on which I have the image is registered as the 3rd disk, with disk0 and disk1 being the other HDD's I have.) I could see "got boot device" followed by the name of the hard drive "IC35L060" [as in attachment]. This is the same error I got when I had disabled USB2, probably because darwin did recognise my disk automatically on USB1.

This time ,as you can see, it threw a panic error message ("bdevvp failed: open").

Is anyone familiar with this message? Could anyone tell me if this really means I got through the "still waiting for boot device problem"?

Bern

post-7071-1124663595_thumb.jpg

Yes, you got past the root device error. I got past it too by using rd=disk0s1, however now I'm stuck with the same exact error that you have got: kdp_poll: no debugger device.

I wonder what's causing this.

i believe "kdp_poll: no debugger device." comes up whenever you have a panic error. The real error message is "bdevvp failed: open" as you can see from my photo. Did you also get that message?

bern

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest timepassx

(I'm not "timepassx", just using a BugMeNot Account.)

Are you using a USB HD to boot? I got the same error and people on other boards claim that you can't use some USB disks to boot off from. I'll try to install the image on my built-in HD.