Leopard Server as desktop OS

cardinal

3 posts in this topic

I am considering using Leopard Server as my main desktop, primarily so I can get easy access to new wiki/blog/whatever server, AFP share management, and other few goodies. I also hope to use ZFS as soon as possible, and I assume may be better supported on server as far as management tools. Are there any drawbacks to using Server as regular desktop? Does any software refuse to run on it? Is the server missing anything that desktop has?

Also, this would be done on a hackintosh. I assume I can probably use existing Leo Retail disc patch to modify original Server disc for hackintosh installation. The bigger question is, do OSX system updates happen independently for server and desktop? That is, when Apple releases 10.5.1, do they release same content for both? Cause if they are out of sync, it would be a pain to maintain the server without support that exists in the x86 community for desktop.

Thanks.

AFAIK, I believe Server is the client os with an extra package installed. This package is NOT the Server Admin Tools, which are free from AAPL's website.

I don't know about compatibility issues with the extra server software that might arrive from a hackintosh.

And in typing this post, Leopard spell-checker recognized 'AAPL' as a word, but not 'hackintosh'. Conceited AAPL. :)

• 10 months later...