Best possible build.

Midani

6 posts in this topic

Hello there. I am offically going to build an osx86. I need help choosing the more important components (motherboard & processor). I orginally wanted to build an AMD but it seems crazy to build an AMD since the intel based copmuter will work a lot better with osx86. Im looking to build a decetly powerful machine.

Iv looked at the intel E6750, which is running at 2.66ghz, and for some reason is cheaper than the E6600 which is 2.4ghz. Do you guys think the E6750 is a good idea? It seems to be since its core 2 duo which is what normal macs are using.

Motherboard is where i am STUCK. I need the best possible motherboard for this tower. Only thing is that i need it to have SLI. Building a new computer without SLI these days is just plain crazy. So PLEASE help me out on which SLI motherboard to get.

I will most likely use mac.nub's newest 10.4.10 because it has preinstalled drivers to use nforce 4 motherboards with SATA. It also has preinstalled drivers for 8800 series video cards which i will most likely get for my system.

So, If you guys could just make suggestions from your previous knowlege (i obviosuly dont have much), it would be a big help for me to make my final decision. Thank you.

You will get some better, more detailed answers coming soon, but I'll tell you what I do know:

- I don't think SLI will work under OSX. You can get an SLI mobo and even two cards, which will work in windows for gaming, but as far as I know you will only be able to run using one in OSX (not sure if you'll have any problems with the second one being enabled or not, you may need to disable it in the BIOS before booting the Mac, but I'm not sure).

-8800s haven't worked so far, but as of Leopard, I hear rumors that this has changed. I'd wait to hear some reports from users here about how the 8800 series is running for them, or buy an 8800 card from somewhere with a return policy like Best Buy to make sure it works so you can return it if it does not play with with OS X.

-I run an nforce4 chipset on my AMD and it works, but not perfectly. I think the MAC is specifically compatible with a certain Intel chipset and you're going to want a motherboard that uses the chipset that the genuine MACs use.

-You are correct that you'd be crazy to build a platform based on AMD when the intended use is to run project osx86. Intel is definetly the way to go. Leopard is also highly optimized for the new Intel chips.

-Don't buy that Core 2 Duo yet. Intel releases their new 45nm processors on November 12th. Hang tight for a few weeks, the 45nm are superior processors on all accounts. They are the same chips, but a die shrink... you will see better speed, power, heat, and some new features such as SSE4. So make sure to get a 45nm "Penryn" chip from Intel... coming in two weeks.

-GPU recommendation: if compatibility isn't a problem in Leopard, and it sounds like the 8xxx series should be working ok, may I recommend the brand new 8800gt 512mb card from Nvidia, it came out today. $250 msrp and performs almost as fast as an 8800gtx. Also whatever you do, DO NOT buy a GTS card - the new gt card with 512mb is a superior card to the older 640mb GTS card. Either get an 8800gt 512mb (or two in SLI) or an 8800 Ultra (or two in SLI) depending on your budget. Personal opinion: the performance difference and price difference between the new 8800gt and ultra makes it a waste of money to get an ultra IMO. The 8800gt 512mb is a steal, and I will be picking one up for myself shortly.

Good luck!

Oh and make sure that your BOOT drive is an IDE drive... not a SATA drive!!! You will have problems booting/installing on a SATA. Once things are up and running SATA is no problem though.I prefer Seagate HDDs for their 5 year warranty. The WD Raptor drives also have a 5 year warranty and will make for a really fast boot-up drive if you can afford it.

You will get some better, more detailed answers coming soon, but I'll tell you what I do know:

- I don't think SLI will work under OSX. You can get an SLI mobo and even two cards, which will work in windows for gaming, but as far as I know you will only be able to run using one in OSX (not sure if you'll have any problems with the second one being enabled or not, you may need to disable it in the BIOS before booting the Mac, but I'm not sure).

-8800s haven't worked so far, but as of Leopard, I hear rumors that this has changed. I'd wait to hear some reports from users here about how the 8800 series is running for them, or buy an 8800 card from somewhere with a return policy like Best Buy to make sure it works so you can return it if it does not play with with OS X.

-I run an nforce4 chipset on my AMD and it works, but not perfectly. I think the MAC is specifically compatible with a certain Intel chipset and you're going to want a motherboard that uses the chipset that the genuine MACs use.

-You are correct that you'd be crazy to build a platform based on AMD when the intended use is to run project osx86. Intel is definetly the way to go. Leopard is also highly optimized for the new Intel chips.

-Don't buy that Core 2 Duo yet. Intel releases their new 45nm processors on November 12th. Hang tight for a few weeks, the 45nm are superior processors on all accounts. They are the same chips, but a die shrink... you will see better speed, power, heat, and some new features such as SSE4. So make sure to get a 45nm "Penryn" chip from Intel... coming in two weeks.

-GPU recommendation: if compatibility isn't a problem in Leopard, and it sounds like the 8xxx series should be working ok, may I recommend the brand new 8800gt 512mb card from Nvidia, it came out today. $250 msrp and performs almost as fast as an 8800gtx. Also whatever you do, DO NOT buy a GTS card - the new gt card with 512mb is a superior card to the older 640mb GTS card. Either get an 8800gt 512mb (or two in SLI) or an 8800 Ultra (or two in SLI) depending on your budget. Personal opinion: the performance difference and price difference between the new 8800gt and ultra makes it a waste of money to get an ultra IMO. The 8800gt 512mb is a steal, and I will be picking one up for myself shortly.

Good luck!

Oh and make sure that your BOOT drive is an IDE drive... not a SATA drive!!! You will have problems booting/installing on a SATA. Once things are up and running SATA is no problem though.I prefer Seagate HDDs for their 5 year warranty. The WD Raptor drives also have a 5 year warranty and will make for a really fast boot-up drive if you can afford it.

-The 45nm "Penryn" chip coming Novemeber 12th is the QX9650 and thats a 1,200 USD chip. The Normal Desktop Peryn Chips don't come out till January.

-A Single 8800 is fine if you have a DVI Based monitor.

yeah i am definetly not looking to spend 1,200 USD on a processor. I will definetly check out the 8800 GT as this is the first i hear of it.

So should i buy a E6750? its prices at less than 200 dollars which is not bad for 2.66ghz with lots of room for overclocking.

IDE drives are getting old and if my knowlege is correct need that huge ribbon thing to connect and you usally can only get one on most motherboards, correct me if im wrong.

Can i install with IDE but then add more SATAs or how would that work?

I am still STUCK on which motherboard to buy! Im not expecting SLI to work on OSx86 but i want it for windows gaming and future because its pointless to not get an SLI board when building a computer these days.

HELP ME OUT GUYS... thanks.

I just got done installing OSx86 on my PC. As far as the IDE vs. SATA debate, I am running 2 independent SATA drives. One with Vista and one with OSx86. Seems to work just fine. Installed just fine. I did move the OSx86 drive to "Primary" SATA for the install. I then moved it back to "Slave" and its working just fine.

I believe, the Core Duo iMac uses the Intel 945GM chipset. I'd look for a motherboard with that and sound/lan options that are supported by most of the OSx86 builds out there. I have an Asus motherboard based on the 915G chipset (plain old Pentium 4). Its running fine.