9A559 > 9A581 Found Disappointing Differences . . .

FarmerBob

5 posts in this topic

After installing 9A581, I noticed something wasn't right, it didn't feel it was as feature rich and I started to look for differences. I can confirm that in 559 my ATI 9200 PCI card was Quartz Supported. In 581 and 10.4.x not. My ATI 9000 Pro AGP - Quartz in all. What made me think to look was when I went to Screen Savers there were only two Quartz SS's in 581 and 6 . . .

post-53970-1193537839_thumb.png

. . . in 559 and all 6 ran fast and smooth, the two (Flurry and Computer Name) in 581 slow and choppy. Front Row won't show video, but will show GUI and sound in 581, there was video in 559. I first got a beta to check to see if 10.5 had the freeze problems that are creeping through the 10.4.10 ranks, and found there were no freezes in 10.2, 10.3, and 10.5 up to 9A559. Freezes in 9A581 when going from Energy Saver screen dim to CPU Sleep. I swear that they sabotaged 10.4.5-10 just like they did 10.3.8-9. I have read that they changed the way the menu bar is rendered and that is why some have a transparent bar and some opaque.

I wonder how many other things were changed for the negative, removed, or left out. This makes me even less apt to buy the retail version.

Anyone else found anything?

Cheers . . .

. . . fb

I wonder how many other things were changed for the negative, removed, or left out. This makes me even less apt to buy the retail version.

well you didn't do that anyway so I don't think they will care

Well, I opened a thread where you could have posted your experiences with Leopard. It's interesting to see these differences and it seems there are a lot more people who have issues like these and who are a bit disappointed with the Leopard Final.
I posted this a bit before you posted yours. Sorry, you could have added yours here . . . .

Anyway, playin' around for a while I found that my ATI card is not officially Quartz supported in 581 as it was in 559 and that I keep all 6 of the Apple Screen savers until I arrange my three monitors. Right after moving the first monitor, the four high end savers go away. When I did get them to stay, but not for long, they would work on my left and right monitors and not my main, just the Quartz thingy moving around the screen. Why would they make it work in an earlier release and not keep it? At least I know they can make it work.

One good thing is that I set it to do the whole Screen Saver, Monitor Sleep, CPU Sleep and no freezes like in 10.4.9 after I updated to 10.4.10 where it started and stayed after I went back.Well off to do a full migration from my working 10.4.9, and see what happens. If it trashes anything, I have reinstalled 10.5 7 times just today so it's no big deal. I'll just reinstall and start from scratch. Here I go. Hopefully, no more bad news.

well you didn't do that anyway so I don't think they will care
I'm researching this as an ADC to recommend a multi-million dollar corporate purchase. I think they might be slightly concerned.