Thanks to Hackintosh, OSX has basically become to best Linux-like Distribution available

dsc106

30 posts in this topic

I don't really see why you're so militant about hating Ubuntu. From the perspective of somebody wanting a usable desktop OS, it beats any other distro hands down. It's fast, it fits on a single CD, it doesn't install loads of {censored} by default users are unlikely to want. The Ubuntu repositories are full of useful apps, everything 'just works' - I'm happy.
Because Ubuntu is an absolute anomaly in the Linux world. They took everything from Debian without giving anything in return. Then they were shamelessly propped up by Mr Shuttleworth's money. But what is worse, Ubuntu is an ordinary distro at the best, buggy as hell at the worst.
Linux offers something that OS X can never offer: Free open source software. Just because OS X has unix at its core does not mean that Apple is somehow less evil than Microsoft. Apple is just a smaller evil =).
I second that. At least Microsoft charges you a lot of money "just" for Vista. Apple charges you a lot of money for their hardware as well.

If I start up Ubuntu 7.10, my wireless works, even WPA+WPA2, my bluetooth works, webcam, 3D graphics and Compiz works, it's like a 'proper' OS. No faffing around with WPA supplicant nor finding obscure proprietary kernel modules.

I've never met another Linux distro where everything on common hardware 'just' worked. If obtaining acceptance as a desktop OS is Linux's goal, then Ubuntu is a step in the right direction no other distro is capable of matching at the moment.

Azurael wrote referring to Ubuntu: " From the perspective of somebody wanting a usable desktop OS, it beats any other distro hands down."

That would be PATENTLY FALSE !!

Go to Distrowatch.com and look at the hit list on the right side of the page.

There is a reason why PCLinuxOs 2007 is NUMBER ONE.

Install it, and be educated.

• 4 months later...

"Just because OS X has unix at its core does not mean that Apple is somehow less evil than Microsoft."

Not true imho - at least Apple releases source for the guts of their OS and tries to encourage open development - Microsoft won't release the source of anything, in order to facilitate a monopoly. Steve Ballmer IS the antichrist and Billzebub (I'll say no more). Steve Jobs is like Ghandi compared to them.

Also the core OSX is alot like linux with a bit of tweaking (no insult to BSD guys); I'm a Sysadmin with over 200 servers to maintain and I've been able to use it effectively for remote admin, something that is totally impractical with windoze, and of course Win is a security nightmare.