Booting problem

toemook

3 posts in this topic

I'm a noob to the os x86 project. I installed the jas 10.4.8 with success. I even updated to 10.4.19 and everything "was" working perfectly until I decided to run the mac updates off the internet. I knew I should have done some research before I did this, but I was ignorant and went a head and did it anyway. To make a long story short, the os will not boot any longer. Darwin starts to boot then just stops and the computer keeps on rebooting.. So my question: Is there a way to fix this problem? Or am I s*** out of luck? I have very important files I wold like to save. If there is a easy solution to this please let me know. Thank you very much.

I'm a noob to the os x86 project. I installed the jas 10.4.8 with success. I even updated to 10.4.19 and everything "was" working perfectly until I decided to run the mac updates off the internet. I knew I should have done some research before I did this, but I was ignorant and went a head and did it anyway. To make a long story short, the os will not boot any longer. Darwin starts to boot then just stops and the computer keeps on rebooting.. So my question: Is there a way to fix this problem? Or am I s*** out of luck? I have very important files I wold like to save. If there is a easy solution to this please let me know. Thank you very much.

@RPS, look this is another one of those Noob questions I was talking about.

@Toemoek, you're out of luck pal. By doing the Apple update you have overwritten the patched files that enabled your system to run on regular PC hardware. The Darwin bootloader boots but is presented by a kernel and .kexts that are just plain incompatible with regular PC hardware and this causes a hard reset.

Solution 0: Get software like HFS+Explorer that enables you to mount and explore/manipulate the OSX partition from Windows, put the patched files back: mach_kernel is one of them. There's tons of information on these forums on how to go about it - just do a search.

Solution 1: install again and beware to turn the automatic updates off.

In general one should never automatically update a hack! It'll drop dead in most cases where a reboot is required when it concerns a 10.4.x update to system files!

Beware of airport updates too - especially when you've got your wifi up and running using hacked files.

Adagio: IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT! why the hell update if you have a good working hack?