Recommend External Hard Drive to Run Osx86

16 posts in this topic

ProAvio DVBox Pro [f/w 800/400/USB2] . . . works fine as a firewire boot drive [on an iMac] & is fast if you have 1394b. Have tried it as a boot-drive via USB2 on a hackintosh - works fine.

Nice realistic writeup here [about halfway down] - images here: the thing is indeed noisy using the default fan, but if (say) bought cheap from scan.co.uk & used with WD Greenpower 1TB HDD(s) could probably be run fanless.

1.Assuming you've already setup in your BIOS to look for USB device prior to HDD connected to your boards.

2.Did you try out on a friend's machine just to rule out the possibility of your Lacie Drive being the problem.

Reason i'm asking is i've got another external drive (Cooler Master Xcraft) that has it's own power supply, and i've installed and running it without problems.

Do you know if your laptop supports booting from a USB drive? You probably know this already, but just because a system can read and write to a drive doesn't mean it can boot from it. Is the usb port on your laptop 1.1 or 2.0? Is this a self powered drive? Can you boot into windows from this drive on your laptop?

I have tried to run osx on a usb hd, and it can boot when usb device is set as the first in bios configuration.I think the firewire hd is different, the pc bios don't give the option of firewire booting. Perhaps a fixd hd with darwin bootloader is needed to boot the firewire hd.osx running on usb disk responds slowly somtimes, especially the files operation on the desktop.They always disappears, but you can list them in the terminal.

You do the boot sequence selection via BIOS setup. Suggest to put 1st as your CD/DVD drive and 2nd as USB followed by onboard HDD.Googled "booting from USB" and found out that some BIOS allows for a specific type of USB device as boot option (i.e. USB RMD-FDD, USB ZIP, USD HDD, USB CD-ROM), so you need to select the correct one if your BIOS has all these option. Yours should be USB HDD.