Installation advice needed for Office 2004 for OS 10

hfisher

4 posts in this topic

Greetings:

I have just purchased a copy of Office 2004 for Mac under the current promotion to get free copy of Office 2008.

Currently, I am using an upgraded G4 @ 1.2 mhz, but am planning on buying an iMac Duo Core to

install Office 2008.

Will I need a copy of Office 2004 on my new machine installed, before installing the copy of 2008 (for Student Teacher's) I will be receiving for $10?????

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that you will get a full license of Office 2008. At least according to official Apple spokespersons. This can of course all change, but I doubt it. The 2004 version won't be that interesting when 2008 comes. And an official statement from an Apple employee is to be regarded as a promise. Class action suites, yada-yada-yada.

When it comes to Open Office et al, I wouldn't listen to the propaganda. The only reason that Microsoft Office is the world's leading office suite is because it is the most versatile and usable. Not because people so dearly want to make Bill Gates even ritcher.

The only usable alternative to MS Office is Mariner Office. However, since 99% of the rest of the world uses MS Office, using something else will simply be handicapping you.

In today's world you'll be expected to hand in your work as an Office document. For review, collaboration, editing etc.

If your needs are very modest, to be able to write a letter or two now and then, then use any office application you like, they will all do that nicely.