Slowdowns every hour or so, 10.4.9

jure

1 post in this topic

Hello!

I've been searching through the forums but I haven't been able to find any topic, that would match what I'm experiencing.

My OSx86 would work perfectly if it weren't for the slowdowns!

The configuration is:

AMD 3000+ (SSE2)

2.5GB DDR

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro

Winfast 6600GT

300GB SATA hard drive

I remember that when I had 10.4.8 installed, I didn't experience any slowdowns. But I have to have 10.4.9 at least, because of all the software not working with 10.4.8.

So what happens is this: I'm working as I normally, and then all of a sudden the beach-ball appears and everything grinds down to a halt. I can move my mouse around and the dock responds very slowly, but that's about all I can do. There is nothing else to do, but to wait about 20 seconds, for normal operation to resume.

I've checked Activity Monitor during these events, but as it is not updating while the computer is in a halt, I can only guess which process is the culprit. It seems to me that it's either kernel_task or windowserver.

So any suggestions, on how to approach the resolution of this problem? I wanted to buy the new iMac, but due to unexpected conditions, I'm a 1000 euros short, so I HAVE to fix this. :D

Thank you!