After installing

cumanzor

11 posts in this topic

I had a copy of OSx86 (10.4.5), patched, lying around because my dvd burner wasn't working, and it worked horribly slow in VmWare. I finally got a new dvd burner (since the old one literally exploded, yeah, my XP cd was in there and the it exploded) so I burned the copy of OSx86, and then booted with it.

Once the installation opened, I went to Disk Utility, and created a MacOSx Partition (Journaled) and then installed OS X in it with the Intel Base and Intel SSE2 patches. Installation completed, and then I rebooted the system. So I went to XP just to check that everything was still there, and yes, XP is still alive thankfully. I tooked the chain0 from the OSX DVD and copied it into C:\, and then I addded the C:\chain0="Mac OS x86" line to boot.ini. Went to msconfig just to check the paths and everything was fine.

Rebooted, and when I select Mac OS x86 in the XP boot loader menu, it goes straight to Windows again, what's going on? Went to msconfig again, checked the paths, downloaded the chain0 from a link I found in the wiki, and still the same problem. How can I boot Mac OS X? I tried booting with Acronis OS Selector and it appears as "Unknow Operating System" but I get a HFS+ Partition error. How can I boot OS X?

Ok thank you, and I've been doing some research and I found that it can't be a logical partition, it has to be a primary want. Is this correct?

If so, it's a shame, I've been dying to try OSX. Is there anyway at all to boot OS X from a logical partition, cause right now I really can't reinstall xp.

I believe that you need to add

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file.

You need to boot to windows to set the osx partition active first though. Boot windows, go to a dos prompt and use the diskpart utility.

I believe that you need to add

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file.

You need to boot to windows to set the osx partition active first though. Boot windows, go to a dos prompt and use the diskpart utility.

That won't work on a logical drive.

Use acronis and create a primary drive.

Acronis OS Selector worked...You could also try a linux based bootloader like GRUB or LILO. I do recall though that you can boot an OS X installation from the install DVD. Insert the install DVD, go to the F8 boot prompt, select your OS X partition with the arrow keys and hit enter.

Duh me! I thought primary partitions were always the first partition on the hard drive and only that! So I went to Windows, used Acronis to delete the current OSX partition and made a new, primary partition. Reinstalled, and it boots now!!!!!

I'm having several issues now so I'll ask them in another thread, but as far as this goes, this topic can be closed.