OS X virtualisation on ubuntu?

5 posts in this topic

ok guys, i love my os x, it's great, but it's not fully working.

i dont have sleep, hibernation, headphones and mic, card reader, modem, dual screen, wireless using dlink usb......so i installed ubuntu and now i have my laptop working 100%.....but i really need my mac, and i dont want to keep booting to os x just for something small to do....so is it possible to virtualise my physical os x partition or even make a new installation of os x on ubuntu?

ive got 10.4.9 JaS, ubuntu 7.10....any help is appreciated

thanks guys

What are you saying that you want to do? Do you want to boot OS X from your existing partition or make a new install on a virtual machine? If so, I'm sorry to say this but the only current virtualization software that works with OS X is VMware. There is a version of VMware Workstation for linux but it says that its only compatible with SUSE, Mandrake, or Red Hat Linux. You can try running it on Ubuntu but I doubt it would work. The best way is to get a linux OS that is compatible with VMware Workstation. Mandrake and and openSUSE (Fantastic!) are free to download and install so if you get one of those you can run OS X in a virtual machine.

~pcwiz>>>

I noticed that either you, or someone else, had posted a nice OSX installation guide on VMware. I have latest Workstation 6 and openSUSE 10.3 and would like to virtualize OSX. Can you please direct to a nice, and is possible brief, guide/tutorial/howto. Also I see that Jas 10.4.8 is the famous one, what about 10.4.10 (possible on vmware, where to get iso (file name perhaps)). I am running AMD A64 Venice, i.e. with SSE2/3.

I have never done this before, so really looking forward to it. Next will be to install on separate partition, to triple boot - Linux.WinXP and OSx86 (a nice guide for this will be also cool).

Thank You a lot.

Use my guide to install OS X on VMware:

http://######.com/vmwareosx86.htm

And no you can't install 10.4.10 on VMware because the new kernel and extensions are incompatible. Use JaS 10.4.8

I currently don't have plans to write a triple boot guide as I have not done it myself and don't plan to. The bootloaders become a mess in Triple and Quad Boots.