Apperence Vista VS OS X

8 posts in this topic

I have a GeForce 7600 GS PCIE 256mb of ram. I have it in my os x86 with full support running all resolutions. My question is why does it look better when im running vista than os x? when i browse Firefox everything is so crisp, while in os x and browsing Firefox, its not as clean and crisp?

It's called font smoothing, it makes the font on the screen look more accurate, the way the typeface would look in print. It's a matter of taste, I find it annoying to read without font smoothing (see how "o" looks like a circle with smoothing and like it's made up of 4 straight lines without; or capital "O" without it's an octagon instead of an oval, lol.). OsX displays the text the way the font is supposed to look, Windows just makes it look as good as the pixel density of your LCD allows it to - for me the windows version is harder to read and looks very 1980s. I guess it depends on what you are used to, neither should be hard to your eyes if you have a decent monitor. You can always turn it off in preferences if you don't like it.

Mac's have a long history of being used in publishing and graphic design, so having the font accurately represented on screen is more important than "crispness."

i prefer the way mac os x displays web pages. it looks much more natural to me. even with cleartype under windows - compared to mac os x the fonts look like {censored}. i know, there are a lot people out there who don't like any cleartype of font smoothing at all, because the fonts are "sharper", but i think thats just habit as we are used to have pixelated fonts on our screens for many years as windows users now :D

@Doca Cola: Well actually there can be differences in the way your hardware is working under OSX and WindowsXP/Vista it depends on refresh rates, resolution and colour saturations - and default settings for the hardware under both OSes can very pretty dramatically. it is not that simple as you said it.