Hackintosh system upgrade (1333FSB Core 2 Duo which will need Asus P5B-E Bios Update)

4 posts in this topic

I am going to upgrade my machine from a Pentium D 935 3.2 to a Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz FSB.... My Asus P5B-E will do this FSB with a BIOS update....

However.. I am worried I will balls up my lovely OSX86 setup... am I just being paranoid?

OS X is a lot different than Windows XP. I installed Tubgirl's OS X 10.4.9 AMD release on an Athlon X2 4400 system. I took the hard drive and put it in an Intel system, and it booted up without any problems. Try that on a Windows system (Windows will have a heart attack dealing with the new motherboard /drivers, etc. In all fairness, after about fifteen minutes, it will be fine)! A CPU swap should be of no concern.

BIOS updates don't affect OS X either. I updated the BIOS for my Intel system, and the only thing that changed in OS X was the type of CPU in About this Mac screen.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

I am going to upgrade my machine from a Pentium D 935 3.2 to a Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz FSB.... My Asus P5B-E will do this FSB with a BIOS update....

However.. I am worried I will balls up my lovely OSX86 setup... am I just being paranoid?

Just give it a try, it won't break if it fails to boot, and you are safe to revert back your bios. Good luck anyway. :):P

OS X is a lot different than Windows XP. I installed Tubgirl's OS X 10.4.9 AMD release on an Athlon X2 4400 system. I took the hard drive and put it in an Intel system, and it booted up without any problems. Try that on a Windows system (Windows will have a heart attack dealing with the new motherboard /drivers, etc. In all fairness, after about fifteen minutes, it will be fine)! A CPU swap should be of no concern.

BIOS updates don't affect OS X either. I updated the BIOS for my Intel system, and the only thing that changed in OS X was the type of CPU in About this Mac screen.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

changing those things does not affect windows xp either :thumbsdown_anim: