XFX 7950GT (512MB) flashed, still no support

16 posts in this topic

You'll need to install a modified kext (driver) for it. I'm not familiarized with that family of cards, but either Natit or NVInject (both are installers for these modified kexts) might be what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried Natit, but it refused to install.

Edit: I tried manually installing that, and it didn't work either.

I manually installed the NVinject kext, but when it gets to the logon screen it looks all messed up. (White and black random block patterns with colors running through them, etc.)

Note: The mouse cursor looks normal, and it responds. If I type in the info and hit enter, everthing changes, but it still looks all messed up. If I start selecting an area on the desktop, the weird patterns sorta invert.

Any more thoughts?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work either.

It has the same problem. The logon is there, but I can't see it. (If I type in my password and hit enter, the colors and patterns change, but it's still completely messed up.)

ItMoN, I have the same card... it sounds like your os nvidia video kexts may be screwed up.

using 10.4.10:

titan kext: works ok... qe & ci - no dual monitor support

natit 0.2 kext: works well... qe & ci - dual montior support

nvinject: 0.0.9 works good too, 0.1.0 stalls before desktop loads

Easiest install is probably to use the 10.4.9 NVidia installer from Diaboliks site:

http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/ (Nvidia section, 10.4.9 NVidia Installer)

I select Apple 10.4.9 kexts and natit 0.2 (gives me the best results)

Be sure to follow the instructions about fixing disk permissions.

Good Luck

Hmm. I'm still getting the same problem.

One thing to note: When I'm running the installer and fixing the permissions, I'm using the built in intel graphics. (As I can't see with the 7950gt.) That shouldn't make a difference, right?

One other thing: If I boot in verbose mode, it throws an error near the very end. It goes so quick though, that I can't read it. Does it put a log of its boot anywhere? I have a feeling that if I could find that out, I might figure out what's causing the problem.

Thanks!

When I install, I use the 7950 (no built in video), I just don't choose an option for video drivers. I still get to the desktop, but its locked at 1024x768 and the refresh rate is messed up. Then I run diabolik's installer. My guess would be a conflict with the 2 video drivers.

Which version osx are you installing? Not sure about the log file...

10.4.9 (uphuck)

Should I delete all the geforce and nvidia drivers, or what?

Another thing: I couldn't get the diablotek installer to work until I installed the natit 0.2 drivers separately.

It kept saying to try installing again.

Thanks!

I've never messed with onboard video, so i couldn't tell you how to uninstall the intel video kexts.

If time permits I would start over, disable the onboard video, reinstall osx with the 7950 installed. Install without selecting any video drivers. After the first reboot, run diaboliks installer (select apple 10.4.9 video kexts and natit .02). Its worked several times for me. You could also try the irc channel, the guys there are pretty helpful too.

I've gotten everything all set up the way I like it, including installing a lot of software. I'd really hate to start over. (Plus I modified my boot, and it's tied to grub via linux, so it'd hose everything up.)

Can I do all that without wiping my drive?

• 2 weeks later...
I removed all the drivers for nvidia, and reinstalled them with the diablotek installer. The installer didn't have any issues, but I got the same problem when I booted up.

Any thoughts, anyone?

on 4.8 i used the gforce universal package from Prawker, do a search, it works.

on 4.10 on xXx disk i just selected the natit 2.0 and it works perfectly on boot.

• 3 weeks later...