Broken MacBook Hard Disk

7 posts in this topic

Hello There,

I have in my hands what seems to be a corrupt MacBook hard disk (hitachi travlestar 60GB), it worries me that apple use such a poor quality drive in the first place but thats another story i guess. As usal the person this belongs to has not backed up there personal files and has asked me if there is any way i can recover pictures and so on. Im not up to speed on mac data recovery or drive configurations. This is why i am asking you lovely people at insainly mac for advice. Does any one know what the best course of action would be??? i have ran a Self Diog test on the HDD and it seems to not be able to complete due to not being able to read areas of the disk. S.M.A.R.T is saying that the drive is functioning fine, this is why it is leading me to belive this is a corruption problem and not manufacturing error.

Thanks People :wacko:

A+1

The first thing I would do is to try to clone the drive's partition to a different location and running a file recovery program afterwards. I have a few of those at home that will do this automatically for you. I will get back to you later today after I get home from work.

I assume you have some sort of external enclosure for the 2,5" drive, right?

hecker

Ah unfortunaly i dont have a the actual Macbook with me just the HDD but... i do have a Hackintosh and about 10 differnt HDDs (sata/pata) and 4 Differnt windows based PCs at my disposal!!! All help is most apreciated Hecker thanks very much!!! :(

A+1

Like Hecker said, put the MacBook HD in a standard 2.5 USB enclosure (about $20 at best buy/staples if you don't have one) and boot up one of your Hackintoshes and see if you can read the drive and grab the data that way. If you cannot grab the data live, try something like Carbon Copy Cloner (Check VersionTracker.com) and create an image of the HD and try getting the data from the image. Lastly, try some 3rd party data recovery tools on the HD. Norton used to make such a program, I don't know if they still do or not. Do a google search or try someplace like VersionTracker for software.

Well there are many ways i can connect the HDD and access it either using Windows XP or OSX so that isnt a problem. Also i have enough free HDD space to make a copy of the drive so that isnt a problem either. My main problem is the best way to aproch the task, what software to use and so on. Thanks for you ideas Jedavis1, maybe if im lucky Heckers has done this befor (fingers crossed) :angel:

A+1