2nd MAC Purchase...Help Me Decide

macko97

4 posts in this topic

I bought a MBP in July, 2.4ghz 4GB RAM with a 7200rpm drive and hi res screen. I absolutely love it. About 3 months prior, before I left the darkside I had built a 6600 duo core pc, with a 8800gts video card that I now loathe...

I need help with the following. As a new MAC user, and a long and extensive history in the IT world as hardcore PC guy who always had to have the best I could afford. I am not stuck on what desktop to purchase to replace the 6600 I am passing to my girlfriend...

I am unfamiliar with MAC and its shelf life, upgradability etc. I love the 24 inch iMAC, but also love the flexibility (if that exists, I am not sure) in the Mac Pro with one of those bad ass cinema displays. Could someone please assist me in my decision making here? The self contained iMAC is appealing, but the MAC Pros abiliy for dual dvd burners, upgradability (is that possible?) and expandable storage is too appealing? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated...

Hey Macko,

I use a iMac 20 Inch and its limit for ram is 4 GB(i think), as far as options, i would suggest Mac Pro as it sports ram upto 16GB, i for once could not afford Mac Pro + Cinema Display and so had to go for iMac, anyhow in the desktop world (Pc and Mac) Mac Pro is one of the meanest machines in the world, very few computers come close to it and no Mac is great when upgrading is considered, there is a certain limit to your upgrades, if any. I think Mac Pro is a amazing investment, though its been almost two years, I am still satisfied with my iMac in terms of Desktop Computing, it does not leave me wanting for more. Though i do think there is no comparison between Mac Pro and iMac. Mac Pro is for sheer performance and iMac probably for sleek and amazingly cool ergonomic design and amazing features combined for home users example isight, infrared remote etc. So bottom line if you need this for professional reasons go for Mac Pro otherwise iMac

Cheers

Madhur

You might just be able to run OSX86 on your previous rig. The nvidia 8800 card seems to be working (this is a new development).

If you have the right motherboard, it should work 100%.

Otherwise I agree with the previous poster. The 24" iMac is a satisfactory machine though.

Is this forum the best resource for QSx86 ? I have a ASUS Sli Motherboard with OCZ RAM? Is there stability issues or application issues with QSx86? I love the applications for OSX so this would be huge for me. Specifically FCP 2 and freeway...