Dell vs Newegg Custom Build

8 posts in this topic

I am torn.

I have a great hackintosh build on Newegg (Link) for $488.

However, I have seen many of these new Dell Vostro's come out, with incredibly low prices for their hardware. For example, just today I saw a Dell Vostro 200 with a 19' Flatpanel Widescreen for $379 shipped.

So, my question to you is, Which is a better deal?

Will I be getting my moneys worth if I order a Vostro Desktop from Dell, or should I just custom build it?

The custom.

That Dell price is for a Intel® Celeron® Processor 420 (1.60GHz, 800FSB) and it says without the monitor.

(It's always the basic price they list even though they list the best upgrades you can go up to.)

DVD-ROM not burner.

Weak onboard video.

Your custom is a Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor, good video card, .... just a better system.

Exactly. Look how much the Dell will be if you configure it like your custom build.

Those are some very good prices. Just get the e4400 as the e4300 is discontinued and the e4400 now takes it's price point :)

What screen are you going to get? How about the Benq Fp202w?

Wow, thank you for all the responses.

After looking over that Dell build one more time, I realized that it really isn't that good of a deal.

Good thing, I was getting worried that custom builds were going to be more expensive versus the Dell overlord. :(

Now, for the monitor, I took a look at the Benq monitor, and boy is that thing nice.

However, I did find another comparable monitor (Link).

Any thoughts?

Oh, and thanks much for the E4400 tip, I had no idea.

Wow, thank you for all the responses.

After looking over that Dell build one more time, I realized that it really isn't that good of a deal.

Good thing, I was getting worried that custom builds were going to be more expensive versus the Dell overlord

Oh, and thanks much for the E4400 tip, I had no idea.

A pleasure.

However, I did find another comparable monitor (Link).

Any thoughts?

Looks like a fine monitor. I recommend the benq, because I saw one personally, and it looked great well built & attractive, with good viewing angles. It's also a full 8-bit panel, not 6-bit like some screens, and is great value for money. It has the same resolution as the screen you wanna get, it's just marginally smaller. Both are pretty huge though.

It's up to you really! All I can say is a nice monitor is important :0

• 4 weeks later...