VMWare + 10.4.8 Working! - Question

14 posts in this topic

Hey, after giving up for a while i downloaded, 10.4.8 and it worked good; there was somthing wrong with the old .iso. Well, everything works its kinda slow but hopefully when i install it without vmware it will work great!

Iv got a few questions / problems, i was woundring if you can help me with:

1. How can i transfer files between Vista and the Mac OS X on VMWare? "USB doesn't work"

2. For some reason my usb doesn't seem to work / get recodnized?

- Can this be because i didn't have usb controller in VMWare when i setup Mac OS X?

Please help me out :) .

Thanks,

SaiN :(

To transfer files between Vista and OS X, get the files you want to transfer from Vista and put the files into a new ISO image. Mount the ISO image in VMware as a secondary CD-ROM device and then when you boot OS X there will be a CD icon. Inside the CD are the files you wanted to transfer from Vista.

To transfer files from OS X to Vista, email the files to yourself and download them to Vista. Sorry there isn't an easier way.

For USB, USB support for Mac OS X in VMware isn't great and its common to have it not working.

Hope this helps

pcwiz

Thanks alot! Howerver, i knew that theres a way to transfer in iso however, in alchohol i never knew how to put files into an iso... any help?

OK Download Magic ISO Maker. Open the program (click Try It at the nag screen). Now drag the files you want to transfer into the ISO window. Once you're done click Save and save the ISO somewhere. Mount the ISO directly in VMware (no Alcohol program needed) and boot the VM to access your files.

OK Download Magic ISO Maker. Open the program (click Try It at the nag screen). Now drag the files you want to transfer into the ISO window. Once you're done click Save and save the ISO somewhere. Mount the ISO directly in VMware (no Alcohol program needed) and boot the VM to access your files.

CHEEEEERRRRSSSSSSSSSS! i just tought there was a way to do it on VMWare or Alcohol .. THANKS :D :D

2 Questions

1/ 10.4.11 MAC? its not even released on apple?

2/ How is leopard available if its supposed to come out in 26th ?

:).

Answers to your questions:

1) 10.4.11 is going to be the last update to Tiger. It will be released some time close before the release of Leopard. You can read more about the 10.4.11 update in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64975

2) Leopard has not been released yet but Apple always gives out early beta copies out to registered Apple Developers (called Developer Seeds) so that they can make and release apps compatible with Leopard right after the release. These developer seeds have somehow been leaked to the public so thats what we're seeing on torrent sites now (9a527, etc.)

I hope this clarifies things. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me,

pcwiz

Instead of going to the trouble of creating ISO images to transfer files, I use old fashioned file and printer sharing.

Make sure you have sharing set up on your Windows Host.

If you are using Windows Vista, you will need to decide the security protocol to use on sharing, either Move Mac OSX up to NTMLv2, or drop Vista down to NTMLv1. I decided to up the security on OSX, to do this edit /private/etc/smb.conf, ensure that

workgroup = <your workgroup>

client ntmlv2 auth = yes

Once you have done that, re-boot your virtual mac, then in Finder, click network, then click your workgroup, then click your host machine.

Instead of going to the trouble of creating ISO images to transfer files, I use old fashioned file and printer sharing.

Make sure you have sharing set up on your Windows Host.

If you are using Windows Vista, you will need to decide the security protocol to use on sharing, either Move Mac OSX up to NTMLv2, or drop Vista down to NTMLv1. I decided to up the security on OSX, to do this edit /private/etc/smb.conf, ensure that

workgroup = <your workgroup>

client ntmlv2 auth = yes

Once you have done that, re-boot your virtual mac, then in Finder, click network, then click your workgroup, then click your host machine.

Thanks mate :) Apreciate the advice ..

Sorry if I just dived in at the deep end! I assumed with the technical content on many of these messages that everyone was up to speed...

Having used PearPC for a number of years to port and test Freeware code I have developed, I look for easy solutions to working with virtual Macs where ever possible. I have recently moved to using Tiger inside vmware [thanks PCwiz, your site helped me set that up!]. Although this approach doesn't give any significant speed enhancement it does allow me to operate with standard user credentials, instead of having to have admin rights and re-set my VPN connections each time I wanted to use PearPC. A major part of developing code to be ported is maintaining a single copy of the source code (under code control environment of course!) then just make this code available on each platform and compile away using local folders for the object code etc. Based on this I have investigated and used many mechanisms for sharing files between different systems.

Folder sharing 101.

Most OS's now have means of providing a sharing environment so you can share your files and printers with other computers on the network. Using this approach you can have your files stored on one machines hard drive, but be directly accessible by other computers on the network as if they were on hard drive of the using computer. Most OS's have their own propriatary mechanisms and protocols for doing this, Apple has AFP: Apple Filing Protocol, Microsoft has SMB: Server Message Block, unix has NFS: Network File System etc.

Having used most of these I would suggest that SMB is probably the easiest and most widely supported, there are a number of open source projects which provide SMB client and server code on almost any platform, the best known of these is Samba: have a look at www.samba.org. MAC OS includes a smb client and server, so using this we should be able to directly share folders between macs and windows systems.

The mechanism I use for sharing is to use SMB, since if the virtualization is working correctly the Virtual Mac and the Host PC are just computers linked by a virtual network, so what works in the real world for sharing between Mac's and PCs should (and I can report does) work in the virtualized world. If you do a simple google on "windows mac folder sharing" you will get over 2 million hits it is a common technique in the real world (and for many in the virtual world also!).

The issue then is how to set this up. Many of the sites you find from doing the google suggested above will tell you the basics of the set up. In the first instance just follow the instructions from any of those sites and you should be able to get file sharing set up between your virtual Mac and your host PC.

My previous message did probably dive in too deep since it was addressing an issue caused by MS changing their security model in Windows Vista. Again there is a lot of information out there on how to address this issue (goole on "vista mac folder sharing"), I just gave my opinion, which was to change the Mac OSX security model to match that of your Windows Vista host.

My experience with folder sharing and Vista is very suboptimal. I use an easier solution.

What you need is a physical FAT 32 partition somewhere on your host computer. The only obstacle to setting this up is Vista only formats NTFS, so you need to format it in XP or Linux, or mount it in VMware (independent, persistent) and format it FAT32 with OS X.

Then use this partition for passing files.

It also works for other OSs that VMWare does not formally support, including new versions the VMware tools may not exist for yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could just set up a ftp server on your windows machine using any free program(Filezila from sourceforge.net) and ftp from within OSX into your windows IP address. You can do the same thing backwards.

You can also use VNC programs. Chicken of the VNC for OSX and UltraVNC for windows.