OS X damging X86 computers

nombre

8 posts in this topic

dont be daft :P

the only 'damage' an osx86 install could do is screwing up your existing data on your hard drives

('IM IN UR DRIVEZ, MESSIN UP UR DATAZ')

but physical damage to hardware? beyond everyday wear and tear, i seriously doubt it.

Are there any reports of OS X damaging PC's since OS X isn't specifically made for them?

Absolutely. It was discovered that Microsoft invented a new security measure in machines that had Vista pre-installed. If you tried to remove Vista this BIOS level resident program kicked in and overdrove the CPU, and turned off the fans until it burned out!!!! :D

Like already said, usually not but fan control can be issue.

Edit: Although generally the fans run at 100%, if that isn't enough to cool a CPU running at 100%, its a design flaw too.

The only thing could may damage your computers if the OS X86 can't contol Fan speeds or CPU power and battary. battary life is a lot sorter on laptops. Also I heard that some grahics Cards fans are at full speed all the time. Dont forget a hackinosh in not 100%.

GET A REAL MAC - NO HACKING IS NEEDED - WORKS OUT OF BOX. COST 4 TIMES MUCH.

KEEP IT REAL! HACKINOSH!

Message for STEVE JOBS 'BUILD MAC OS X FOR PC HARDWARE'

RIP 'Mac OS 9'

As Andrewvideo stated, there have been some problems with overheating on laptops but I haven't read any reports of actual physical damage caused by OS X. I use my 10.4.10 install as my primary O/S with uptimes in the days and I've never had any problems, aside from a sleep issue that is annoying but not threatening.

I actually have run in to a situation that caused some damage - after installing osx86 at home, I realized just how c****y Windows was and got frustrated using it on my work computer at which point I smacked the monitor causing a small dent.

;-)

Kidding aside, I actually INSTALLED ox86 on my work computer(an X40) by pulling the hard drive & installing it to a USB drive. I've booted back & forth between the two systems with no issues at all - the fact that Windows doesn't recognize Mac drives & Mac OS can't write to NTFS drives makes it pretty safe(as long as you don't do the initial install to the wrong drive - of course if you do that you just wipe out all your data, you don't do any damage to your hardware).

I also built a hackintosh desktop that I use to boot in to both OS's and they both work perfectly, not to mention the MacBook that I wound up buying that has had both on.