When i go to leopard...

osxfan156

5 posts in this topic

K, couple things. Before upgrading, back everything up. I recommend doing a full clone backup with something like SuperDuper! to an external hard drive. Next, it depends on how you go about installing Leopard. You shouldn't lose any of your files, because you should be backing those up anyway. Here are your options:

Upgrade: Mac OS X Leopard Installer will upgrade your Mac OS X installation, leaving your preferences, applications, and files intact.

Archive & Install: Mac OS X Leopard Installer will take your Tiger installation and put it in a folder called "Previous system", then proceed to installing Leopard. You're given the option to preserve user/network settings if you choose.

Erase & Install: Formats your hard drive and installs a fresh copy of OS X. This is what I recommend when updating to a new OS. Updates always provide a great opportunity to start fresh.

Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure you've got a good backup (I have several).

You wont lose your files, but its always wise to back them up just incase.

On the other hand, i never recommend upgrading an OS. In most cases that just causes an ass-load of headaches and problems. You're better off backing up your date to a DVD or something, and just start off fresh :)

-Prawker

There's two choices if you want to keep your files from your Tiger install: "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install".

Each does pretty much what the name implies. Upgrade will change/install system files that are new to Leopard, but will otherwise leave your documents, apps, etc untouched. It's like Leopard was install and someone moved all your files over to the new OS. Only downside to this method is that sometimes files that need to be changed aren't and that can cause problems.

Archive and Install is a bit harder but has a better chance of creating a stable environment. When you choose this option, the Tiger System folder (which contains all your user files will be moved to a folder called "Previous System". It's then your responsibility to move the files to their proper location in the new system. Sometimes apps won't work after this and you'll have to reinstall them.