kernel panic after installation

Riaz

15 posts in this topic

Try to remove "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext".

In terminal:

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then repair permissions and reboot.

I can't go inside the OS. Now how to remove that? Do I have to use my installation disk to do that?

I donno whether sudo command will work under installation disk or not...

Please guide me if I'm wrong. ;)

Press F8 while booting and type the switch "-s" to enter Single User mode.

After everything has loaded, type "mount -uw /" as instructed, then type the commands i told you about above.

Hi MoDs, thanks for your response ;) I can't execute your command as I can't go to single user mode. Now I tried installing using vmware and checked an option during the installation to remove the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" and now I can boot from vmware but natively I'm getting an issue.

Well I'm having an ICH8 mobo, any command gives me "still waiting for root device" error. I guess I have to add on my DevID for my SATA HD inside IOATAFamily to boot it natively.

So which file I have to alter to add my DevID inside that IOATAFamily.kext?

I also receive that 'still waiting for root device' error. I honestly don't know what the problem is. I have tried these versions:

Mac Intel 10.4.8 Jas (Does not work - Freezes up)

Mac Intel 10.4.9 Uphuck (Can't even go into installer)

Mac Intel 10.4.8 Different Jas (Doesn't work - Error with Installation)

Mac Intel 10.4.10 Kalyway (Doesn't work - Still waiting for root device)

&&

Mac Intel 10.4.7 Jas (This one works, but I don't want the 10.4.7) :P

Anyway, I'm having a very similar problem.

I also receive that 'still waiting for root device' error. I honestly don't know what the problem is. I have tried these versions:

Mac Intel 10.4.8 Jas (Does not work - Freezes up)

Mac Intel 10.4.9 Uphuck (Can't even go into installer)

Mac Intel 10.4.8 Different Jas (Doesn't work - Error with Installation)

Mac Intel 10.4.10 Kalyway (Doesn't work - Still waiting for root device)

&&

Mac Intel 10.4.7 Jas (This one works, but I don't want the 10.4.7) :P

Anyway, I'm having a very similar problem.

hi, what is your system config?

My system configuration is:

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2.8 GHz

Sound - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

(I also have an integrated Intel 82865G Graphics Controller, and this does interfere with some graphics card issues when I use my Nvidia card, but I just use my intel card when using mac/linux)

Hard drive: Western Digital 111 GB

RAM: 768 MB

I know Mac can work, but for some reason Kalyway's 10.4.10v just doesn't.

P.S. I have an SSE2 Processor

My system configuration is:

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2.8 GHz

Sound - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

(I also have an integrated Intel 82865G Graphics Controller, and this does interfere with some graphics card issues when I use my Nvidia card, but I just use my intel card when using mac/linux)

Hard drive: Western Digital 111 GB

RAM: 768 MB

I know Mac can work, but for some reason Kalyway's 10.4.10v just doesn't.

P.S. I have an SSE2 Processor

I hope you have a IDE harddisk? Well I had exactly the same configuration last year and it worked neat without any problem. If you have any SATA drives then you need to find another way out to do the installation. If you think that you can successfully install 4.7, then why not do a update from .7-.8 and then to .10?

Mostly 10.4.7 should work SSE2 machines. If you have windows then you can do a vmware native installation. Have you tried that?

I do have an IDE harddisk. I don't have vmware for XP right now, just Linux. Although, I'd rather just upgrade from 4.7 to 4.10

EDIT: I've tried that already and it did not work. It just showed the same error. I poped in the disk, clicked upgrade, then I rebooted and 'Still waiting for root device' Let me double check on that IDE harddisk though.

Do you know of a way to check your harddisk without prying open your computer?

I do have an IDE harddisk. I don't have vmware for XP right now, just Linux. Although, I'd rather just upgrade from 4.7 to 4.10

EDIT: I've tried that already and it did not work. It just showed the same error. I poped in the disk, clicked upgrade, then I rebooted and 'Still waiting for root device' Let me double check on that IDE harddisk though.

Do you know of a way to check your harddisk without prying open your computer?

You have to check whether the HD is connected to Master and optical drive to Slave. Specify the jumper and don't use cable select. I'm not sure how to check that without opening. But you can find using ur bios.. See where you HD and DVD are listed...

Example, Primary Master: HD and Primary Slave: DVD or other option is secondary bridge. This "root device" error is mostly occur due to the jumper and the recent releases support SATA better than IDE.

I think you need to open and how it is configured and also, make sure the partition is made in a such a way if your XP is primary....

WinXP | OSX | {if u have more partition put after OSX} Format OSX to Fat32 primary and don't ever format in the Disk Utility. Disk Utility is to erase and make it as Mac OS Extended (Journeled).

Hope if you check your jumper and placed it correctly it should work properly.

All the best :P

hi!

Im having AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext problem too. Im installing MAC OSX 10.4.9 with the 10.4.10 Update (KILL3R).

Can't erase that commands cause when i get that screen im unable to type anything.

btw, Riaz, what do you mean with:

Now I tried installing using vmware and checked an option during the installation to remove the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" and now I can boot from vmware but natively I'm getting an issue.

Do you mean inside the intallation when you are choosing for the Kernel, drivers.. choose the option wich says erase that command?? Doesnt work for me.

Im having a 10.4.8 soon, maybe that will work?? Have read something about but dont understand at all.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot saying I have P4 3.2 Northwood, Sata HDD, 512 RAM, and onboard audio and lan.

Well I'm going to check to see if my jumpers and HD is all configured correctly and what not. Also, this is might be important for you to know. I have a 20gb drive that is absolutely dead, but I just never bothered to remove it because it just never worked.

I think I might want to remove it :huh: I repost with what when on and when, or if, I have anymore questions.

btw, Riaz, what do you mean with:

Do you mean inside the intallation when you are choosing for the Kernel, drivers.. choose the option wich says erase that command?? Doesnt work for me.

Edit: I forgot saying I have P4 3.2 Northwood, Sata HDD, 512 RAM, and onboard audio and lan.

Hi, during the installation there is an option to remove "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". if you check that option, it'll remove it... but if you have done that already, then you should post the screenshot on startup, so can check what is wrong. :thumbsup_anim: