Problems with wireless (Linksys WUSB54G)

14 posts in this topic

:blink: ok... so I could be the 1237 whos asking, but still.....

I have an USB wirless adapter (WUSB54G) and I got the draiver (name : STA_2500USB D-1.1.2.0 OS-10.4.X 2005_11_29.dmg)

So I instaled the driver, rebooted Mac, then plugged in the USB and look for any changes in some were..

and nothing changed, maybe someone had a bit simmilar situation, could he post some screenshots or give some links with USEFULL information...because I have never used Mac, this is my first time, I dont understand pretty much anything :)

So please help, if you can....

• 4 weeks later...

The Wiki (see my sig below) does indicate certain revisions of this adapter do have a driver. However, the driver in question sucks imo. It needs to be run each time the system boots up, and it seems that it is really easy to throw offline.

This driver has a status pane (something like that). If your adapter is supported it will NOT say "No device!"

If your status says no device, your adapter's chipset isn't what this driver was meant for.

The linksys site states there is no Mac support for the WUSB54G. A compatible driver (kinda) is available from the web site belonging to a chip manufacturer who made the guts to ONE revision of the WUSB54G. They have Windows, Linux, and OS X drivers (10.3 and 10.4).

I had a product with compatible chip inside, installed and used the driver, got connected to my wireless network, surfed the net a little.

But subsequent boots and installing software (of most any kind) would knock the device offline, and I'd have to re-install its drivers. It would also just drop offline arbitrarily.

The Windows system using this very same adapter never had such troubles.

Conclusion: the OS X driver for this unit stinks, even if it IS compatible with the chip inside only one specific release of this adapter.

Hardware Compatibility List for 10.4.3

"For 8f1111 you may download this driver from the Ralink site. The USB-Stick needs to be reconnected after every boot/reboot to get recognized/loaded. NB: Others have found Ralink drivers to be unstable under 10.4.3."

Note that link is for the disk image that contains the wireless driver. If you want to browse their drivers, follow this link and find the Macintosh section. The chip in question is 11g-RT2500, USB. You will find several drivers for 10.3 and several for 10.4.

I've tried them and frankly, I'd rather hardwire my system to ethernet than try and cope with how fussy it is. Also, it's very obtuse how to use it. I believe you look at a site list (one tab), select from the list, then ask to connect, fill in all the necessary secutiry info (if applicable), then when done it should put a green box with a checkmark next to the site.

Then you go to the first page where you have a list of configurations and SAVE your configuration so you don't have to type all the security stuff in again. However, upon boot I found it seldom figures out what to do and at least half the time tells me there is no adapter (even if I do unplug and replug it). Very much not following the credo of "It just works."

No device found means that the Ralink chip is not present in your version of the Linksys adapter. There are no fewer than 7 different versions of guts inside the thing. Only 1 of these 7 are Ralink... the rest come from sources that nobody has of yet found a driver site for.

Most semiconductor manufacturers do NOT put up drivers for the simple reason their products never get worked into a coherent interface scheme, so their attempt to make a driver would be so hardware dependent, it's useless for almost everybody else.

There's no idea, just a conclusion: you have a Linksys wireless adapter that belongs on the INCOMPATIBLE list.

• 3 weeks later...

i just opened my linksys wusb54g wireless card... and the gut says rt2571f.... i checked railink website it says that that means it is usb2500 based.... but the driver does not work anyways. am i supposed to modify the kext to include the device id and vendor id? or is there a specific procedure to load the drivers.... what do you exactly do to get it working.... install drivers... reboot... connect adaptor... and then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AFAIK, this adapter doesn't work (I have rev.4). I went by this page and made a list of common adapters I could get at Best Buy, RadioShack, Staples, Wal Mart... wherever. Nothing (and thank God for decent return policies!)

If the stores DO have any PCMCIA or other adapters as listed on that page, the hardware revisions don't match up. For example, you might get a Belkin F5d7010 adapter, but judging from the (few) success stories around here, it has to be v.3000 and not v.4000 (Staples) or v.5000 (Best Buy) if I'm correct. Might start looking on eBay pretty soon...

I'd try the DWL-G122 (rev. B1) which seems to be working for a few people, although the software you'd have to install from Ralink's website is super fussy and, like someone else mentioned, "obtuse" to use. I'm running 10.4.3 and the OS seemed to detect it as an ethernet adapter. It detected the wireless networks around my place but beyond that, no luck connecting :P