L2TP VPN Problems

1 post in this topic

Hi all

Hopefully someone older/wiser can help me with this issue. I am trying to connect my OS 10.4.3 machine to a windows ISA Server using VPN. The catch is I am trying to get it to work using certifactes for machine authentication rather than a pre-shared key (just for that added bit of paranoia)

The VPN server is set up and works like a charm with my windows xp laptop certificates et all! When i set up Internet Connect on the mac to use a pre-shared key for authentication it also works no problems.

So i exported my certificate along with private key from the xp client machine to a pkcs#12 file and imported it into the system keychain on the mac (dragging the CA certificate to the X509Anchors keychain) and all is well - the certificate registers as valid and i am able to select it for machine authentication in my internet connect preferences.

However, when i click connect on the mac the connection times out just as it would if i had entered an incorrect pre-shared key as the machine authentication method. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue of compatibility between certificates issued by a windows based certification authority, or if I am doing something wrong somewhere. Has anyone successfully linked a tiger vpn client to an ISA server using certificate based machine authentication or am i just going to have to settle for PSK authentication.

Thanks