boot hangs: display module error

AceBR

14 posts in this topic

I've looked arround and found nothing like this. In safe mode it doesen't show all this info. I got it booting verbose but in regular mode, here it goes:

after some

"display: family specific matching fails"

it comes with:

kextd[43]: Kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kextd/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIDisplay.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIDisplay

kextd[43]: a link/load error ocurred for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIDisplay.kext

Its my first time trying mac os x, you experienced guys have got a clue?

P4 2.4a SSE2 512MB in ASUS P4B533 (i845 intel)

ATI 9000 128MB(RV250) (maybe here is the problem...)

Had same problem, thanks to another post here, I got it fixed:

at boot prompt, press 'enter' for options, type -s for single user mode then 'enter'

after it stops loading, it'll tell you what to type if you want to boot and stay in single user mode (something like sh/etc) type that and 'enter' it'll prompt you for password, type deadmoos password and 'enter' then you should be logged in at a shell prompt. type 'ls' to get your bearings as to which directories are around, 'cd extensions', then 'sudo rm -rf AppleIntel*'

that'll clear out your preferences, then type 'reboot', you should be rolling!

I've looked arround and found nothing like this. In safe mode it doesen't show all this info. I got it booting verbose but in regular mode, here it goes:

after some

"display: family specific matching fails"

it comes with:

kextd[43]: Kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kextd/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIDisplay.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIDisplay

kextd[43]: a link/load error ocurred for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIDisplay.kext

I'll try it right now and post back the results. Thaks a lot.

Nope. I couldn't boot as single user using sh /etc/rc, it comes with the same error. I had to mount the root filesystem with /sbin/fsck -fy. Well, checked /etc/rc, nothing useful there, so I decided to go to the module folder: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kextd/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIDisplay.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleACPIDisplay

I checked the file but it is encrypted....

The /etc/rc file, loads a bunch of stuff, but since I'm not experienced in shell script, someone able could check out this file and match it with this error. Maybe something comes out of it. Thanks all.

Until now all I got is a BSD unix command prompt with no graphics enviornement. I wanna see Mac OS X :)

I've looked arround and found nothing like this. In safe mode it doesen't show all this info.

When we look at the HCL (hardware compatibel list)

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCLpart

we see that the Radeon 9000 should work.

My expensive 9700Pro didn't.

I replaced it by a cheap 9550SE, which works very well.

I got that "Family Problem" too.

The cause was that the HD was attached to a ATA133 controller.

I atttached the HD to the standard ATA100 controller, and all was well.

Note: SATA will also not work.

well, the controller here is the original of i845 chipset. ATA 100. I just can't see wich hardware is sticking the process...

ATA100 can't cause a problem.

Your code mentions there could be a problem with the video card.

(although the 9000 should work according to the HCL.)

Could you try with a cheap working video card? (see HCL)

Did you apply all the Maxxuss patches? (SSE3-->SSE2)

I didn't apply them cause I never got really logged in the system. The closer is this root prompt with fsck. But even pacthed or not, it should load the first time. I'll soon change my VGA, maybe then it works... But before that I'll try phenix release. I'm in deadmoos one.

Had same problem, thanks to another post here, I got it fixed:

at boot prompt, press 'enter' for options, type -s for single user mode then 'enter'

after it stops loading, it'll tell you what to type if you want to boot and stay in single user mode (something like sh/etc) type that and 'enter' it'll prompt you for password, type deadmoos password and 'enter' then you should be logged in at a shell prompt. type 'ls' to get your bearings as to which directories are around, 'cd extensions', then 'sudo rm -rf AppleIntel*'

that'll clear out your preferences, then type 'reboot', you should be rolling!

This worked for me on my Gateway 4530GZ laptop, and I was finally able to locate the reason why I couldn't boot anything other than safe mode: AppleIntel830GA.plugin. I moved /System/Library/Extentions/AppleIntel830GA.plugin to my user's home directory, rebooted, and everything worked -- except sound, which I'm still trying to figure out.

i'm havin the same display module problem with a nvidia card. ::shrugs::: any clues on how to solve it. Does the same thing Ace says. Freezes. there is no hit enter and you get a promt it freezes after that. just goes retarded. ...email me if you have an answer plz cuz i dont check the forum that oftern. Snowpilot@gmail.com

i'm havin the same display module problem with a nvidia card. ::shrugs::: any clues on how to solve it. Does the same thing Ace says. Freezes. there is no hit enter and you get a promt it freezes after that. just goes retarded. ...email me if you have an answer plz cuz i dont check the forum that oftern. Snowpilot@gmail.com

I've checked phenix release, it is just too much work for nothing. Deadmoos instalation is much easier, so I'll stick with it. But this error is just driving me crazy. I can't try any different hardware... I've seen other posts arround with the same situation.

This is getting big. People should try helping us on it :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
I've checked phenix release, it is just too much work for nothing. Deadmoos instalation is much easier, so I'll stick with it. But this error is just driving me crazy. I can't try any different hardware... I've seen other posts arround with the same situation.

This is getting big. People should try helping us on it  :)

I had the "display: family specific matching fails" issue too. There are some reports of using platform=X86PC to make it work but this did not work for me. What did work was at boot: platform=X86PC "Graphics Mode" "800x600x24"

Also all the ATI and Nvidia kexts were already deleted.

Hope this helps