CPU Fan Working at full speed

~pcwiz

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Specs are below in sig. When I am using Mac OS X, my CPU fan runs at full speed (LOUD noise). Is my computer overheating? I tried to access the temperature sensors from OS X but it doesn't detect my temperature sensor. Is there any way in OS X that I can accurately check the CPU temps?

Hi

I'm also on my quest for fan speed control on my hackintosh. But for now there are some thing to know.

First, unless I'm mistaken, your PC isn't over heating, it's because your BIOS puts your fan(s) at full speed, it's by default.

Second, if you're brighter than me :( , you may have bought a MB with automatic fan control, you can find these controls in your BIOS and can predetermine a set of rules to slow your fan when there's no need (CPU is cool) and speed them when needed (CPU is hot). If your in the same league as me, go to the third point.

Third, if you're not brighter than me :P , you can have control on your fan by windows. Do you know that excellent program called SpeedFan by Almico, it's a program that let you change your fan speed.

It can even change them by itself following a set of rules that you preset. Honestly, I can't live without it.

You can find it here, and it's free.

Once you have installed it, go in the configure panel, then in the options, you have a check box labeled, «Reset 

fan to 100% on exit» or something like that. Uncheck it, set manually your fan to the

desired and SAFE speed, reboot (not a cold boot and you may get a BIOS error, but it doesn't prevent booting) in OSX and voilà, a quieter OSX hackintosh!

This is so efficient that I actually rewired my Power Supply fans to be connected on my motherboard and be able to decrease the noise level from there too (I have an old and cheap PSU, so no automatic fan control).

To monitor your PC temp, go see this thread!

It's very important to monitor your PC temp, OSX86 tends to use more intensively the CPU.

For my part I use Thermo and it's widget (it's very precise with my P4P800-VM) because Temperature Monitor doesn't work for me.

For those with a Core 2 Duo CPU, you could use CoreDuoTemp.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'll check out that program. I also tried Temperature Monitor but it couldn't detect my temperature sensor. I'll also check out that Thermo program.EDIT:Where can you find the Thermo program to download? I can't find it.The Temperature Monitor doesn't work. Just confirmed it. It only shows the temps for my hard drive.

I tried it, it didn't work either.

I installed the Thermo package and rebooted. I went into Terminal and typed in Thermo and all I got was:

Press any key to exit

Any other programs that may work?

Sorry but I don't know any other tool to monitor your temp. You know that it is used only with Winbond W83627EHF/EHG chip, check for your chip for monitoring, maybe it's another one.

Have you tried the reboot procedure with SpeedFan for your fan speed problem?

My fan is automatically controlled so a Windows utility will have no effect on how it works with OS X. I found out my sensor model:

ITE IT8712F

The fan speed is normal in OS X. The fan only goes full speed when the temp its over 60 degrees celsius so I guess thats wahts happening in OS X. I don't understand, my computer I think is cooled efficiently:

Side Chassis Fan

Rear Intake Fan

Power Supply Fan

GPU Fan

Stock Intel CPU Heatsink and fan

Then, maybe it's like I've said above, OSX tend to overuse the CPU, producing more heat. Under windows, it keeps under at 48-49 C and under OSX, it's 55 at the same air flow speed (60% with SpeedFan)! You could use a better heatsink for your CPU, I'm looking for another one but for now I'm going to buy a house this week, so I have other priorities :P !

I could suggest the Scythe Ninja Rev. B, rated at 32 dB at low speed, it's very quiet and keep the CPU very cool.

you can look at the review here.

Also it's really inexpensive, a worthy buy if you like the silence!

So, about a 6 degree difference between OS X and Windows according to your calculations. My Pentium D runs really hot and its 50-55 under Windows so about 60 degrees under OS X which is the temperature at which the fan goes fastest 4115-4218 RPM.

The max temp for my CPU is 68 degrees. I once had it running at 90 degrees due to dust clogged up and the processor wasn't damaged because CPU Throttling is built into the CPU so I don't think running it at around 60 is going to do any harm.

I might look into liquid cooling and stuff but for now, all I need is a way to confirm the CPU temperature...

Yeah, but it's a bit noisy I heard, so if you're concerned with silence...

But anyway 60 C is a bit hot for your CPU, (as my 55 C is too), so if you have budget to get a big cooling system, you might consider buying a Core 2 Duo. It's rather cooler, even with stock fan and I've seen a review that reported 26 C with a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme CPU cooler, here.

Then you could get a cheaper but good CPU cooler along with a better CPU for a very reasonable price, look on ebay. Try this link or this one. Used but still functionnal, and with a good cooling, you will make your CPU runs for a long time. You only have to choose your seller with wits, don't be fooled, there're a lot of stupid moron that will try to fool you on eBay, be smart and there's no danger.

That's the path I've chosen to take when my financial health will recover.

Also, I plan to get a Power Supply that is silent too, like the corsair HX or VX series, they've got very good review on Silent PC Review.

To be honnest, if my budget would permit it, I would rather buy an iMac 20" tomorrow, I'm  :whistle:  bored with my PC background noise.

I'm not going to change anything for now. The PC is working great with Windows, etc. so its not too big of a problem. The noise, yes its annoying but I can live with it. Also, I think when winter comes its going to be cooler. Also, I think its time to get the can of compressed air out again, some dust is getting clogged here and there.

A while back in summer the temps were around 40-45 degrees with Windows so I think I need to clean dust out. My PC collects a lot of dust.