Fix for Soundmax, ADI and maybe other soundboards

Middleman

46 posts in this topic

first off thanks for your guide!i've been trying for a few weeks to get my sound working, and it appears it should work, but i still get no sound out at all.im using the string0x11d41986 for my codecand0x27d88086 for my controllerit's an intel ICH7-mi have msged some other members of the board who have the same laptop as I (asus w3j) and they havent had any luck either. could there be a reason it just wont work with this laptop? you mentioned something about some newer cards not supporting ac97. could this have something to do with it?the kexts show they are loaded and i can control the slidersif there's any other info you need please let me knowany help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
llauqsd,First off, what is your codec's model? Are you sure you are using an Analog Device (AD) 1986? And what is the string for your ICH7 controller? It may not be 0x27d88086 - this varies from system to system.Follow my guide of using Windows or Linux device properties to find out the correct strings for your codec and ICH7 audio controller. The problem is most likely there.
HI Middleman, I checked in system prof:I can find only AppleAzaliaAudio/Controller but there is a dependecy missing: IOHDAudioFamily, strange because it appear right loaded! IOHDAudioFamily.kext is not in System/Library/Extensions but in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and it's empty.
IOHDAudioFamily should normally be in the /Extensions as far as I recall.Assuming you've changed all the other files in my guide, to make it work properly simply do this:sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensionssudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAudioFamily.kextsudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkextsudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcachesudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kextsudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensionsreboot

i followed your guide (and others, to no avail) and my ids do in fact happen to be the same as the ones used in your guide. that's the reason i'm so puzzled, because not one user of the w3j laptop that i know of has been able to get working sound, even by carefully following the many guides available. Getting video to work correctly was a more involving process (obtaining edid, etc etc), so i really cant understand why us w3j users are having such a hard time with sound...any suggestions/stupid things we may have missed? could the versions of the kexts i'm using be the problem, and not the ids im inserting into them?

thanks for all your help

i followed your guide (and others, to no avail) and my ids do in fact happen to be the same as the ones used in your guide. that's the reason i'm so puzzled, because not one user of the w3j laptop that i know of has been able to get working sound, even by carefully following the many guides available. Getting video to work correctly was a more involving process (obtaining edid, etc etc), so i really cant understand why us w3j users are having such a hard time with sound...any suggestions/stupid things we may have missed? could the versions of the kexts i'm using be the problem, and not the ids im inserting into them?

Did you add ADS78 into the AppleAC97CodecAD198x kext? And you sure its AD1986A and not AD1986 HD? If it is HD you'll need to follow Tarugas method.

I'm using JAS 10.4.8. Anything less or different I don't think is gonna work.

thanks for all your help

You're welcome.

Hi,

My first post, my first experiance with MAC OS X :P so go easy.

I've been around PC's/Puters for around 30 years, just not MAC's :)

Installed 10.4.9 on my generic PC,

ASUS P4V800D-X Motherboard (Via Chipset)

P4 3 Gig Prescott

Radeon 9200 128 m/b

1 Gig ram

3 Hard drives

NEC 4571 DVD writer

The onboard sound is an AD1888 - so far no sound in MAC OS, sliders are greyed out. So I'm trying to follow this tutorial, but stumbling at the first hurdle. When I open device manager in XP, view the proerties for the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio device, I look under details & it has a single line as follows:-

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_810D1043&REV_60\3&267A616A&0&8D

Which are the Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio Dev & Ven numbers & which are the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio Dev & Ven numbers? I can't see anything under details referancing the Microsoft UAA :blink:

I've been here http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/catalog/p111080.shtml & worked out the ADS number = ADS68. Just a bit stuck with the first bit, really, any help?

TIA

Which are the Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio Dev & Ven numbers & which are the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio Dev & Ven numbers?

You need to go to Windows Device Manager (Control Panels > System > Hardware Devices under XP) and under the Systems dropdown, look for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. If you click on the Details tab you should be able to see the vendor and device IDS under the line below.

(quoted from from a pm from Middleman)

You need to go to Windows Device Manager (Control Panels > System > Hardware Devices under XP) and under the Systems dropdown, look for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. If you click on the Details tab you should be able to see the vendor and device IDS under the line below.

(quoted from from a pm from Middleman)

I'm really confused here...

Open Conrol Panel, double click on System - there's no Hardware Devices tab or listing :wacko:

The first tab, labeled Hardware, has buttons for Device Manager, Driver Signing, Windows Update & Hardware Profiles. I'm using the Device Manager, then viewing the properties for the Soundmax, which gives the single device line previously posted. I can't find anywhere, any referance to a Microsoft UAA Bus Driver :( - for anything, let alone the Soundmax. Can someone please detail a click, by click, way to find them. The other tabs under Control Panel, System are - General, Computer Name, Advanced, System Restore, Remote & Automatic Updates - none of those tabs has anything called Hardware Devices, or any UAA Bus Drivers :( Even running DXDiag only lists out that single driver line...

I'm running Windows XP Pro, fully patched & updated.

Middleman,

Though my sig indicates Mac.Nub's 10.4.10, i've got another USB HDD with Jas 10.4.8. I'm using that to work on the sound solution you're providing. Would appreciate if you could see if there's anything else I could try out... or am I doing it right. Thanking you in advance.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

can anyone help me out in installing my audio device

SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio

VEN-11D4

DEV-1986

VEN-27D8

DEV-8086

iam having Lenovo N100-076884Q laptop

i tried as mentioned in above posts. The volume bar appears but there is no sound in the speakers. In system profiler it still displays Intel High Definition Audio and nothing else.

kindly help me out

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Neophyt_e, in Device Manager there are a bunch of entries with a '+' sign to expand them. 'Sound, Multimedia etc' is one of them, where the SoundMax info is, and 'System' is another one further down where the UAA stuff is.

I can't find any uua microsoft bus driver i have a adi ad1888 my ven id is 8086 my dev id is 24D5 ads number ADS68

i suppose that microsoft uua bus driver is only for some models so is reported :

http://www.commentcamarche.net/pilotes/tel...ture-bus-driver

Adi 1983

Adi 1986

CMedia 9880

Conexant Waikiki

Realtek 260

Realtek 261

Realtek 280

Realtek 880/860

Sigmatel 9770

Sigmatel 9772

Realtek Content Creation Bay

Realtek High Definition Audio

not for adi ad 1888

for adi 1888 a working driver is at this address :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=38815&st=0

it working with ToH 10.5 leopard

Hey guys, I have been banging my head against the wall for a while now: my AD1984 works out of the box with Kalyway and cannot even squeek under iATKOS... anyone with a working AD 1984 under iATKOS already? :P

• 1 month later...

Agent, you mean you installed Kalyway and AD1984 worked ? How is that possible, I've been installing iatkos, kalyway and other releases without luck ! What type of computer you have ? I own a Lenovo X61s notebook.

One last thing: did it really work out of the box or you had to do some tweaks ?

I can't seem to find the UAA stuff. I have nothing in the System part of the Device Manager that refers to that.

Please, help.

I'm with this gentleman here. No UAA under the Systems dropdown. I don't have an HD sound chip. Mine is an ADI 1981A, Ven ID 8086 Dev ID 24C5 ADS72.

Running the same distro as the gentleman who wrote this guide.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What can I do to get my device working? I saw your terminal answer for 1986 and I am hoping you/somone could help me with the solution. Thank You.

Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio:

Dev ID : 1984

Vendor ID : 11D4

I know I use Intel, I'm still a noob and I'm trying to absorb years of info.

I have successfully installed osx86 but cannot get my ethernet and sound working.

Thanks again to anyone who can offer assisstance.

• 4 weeks later...

I followed the instructions and in system profiler it seems that AppleAC97 isn't being loaded.

Anyone know how to get this to be enabled?

I'm fairly sure I have all the IDs correct.

Soundmax integrated HD Audio (T61)

Ven 11D4

Dev 1984

UAA

Dev 284B

Ven 8086