Noob project in the making!

DellIntosh

8 posts in this topic

Hey, hows it going?

Im soon to be embarking on my first hackintosh project..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=010 here's the hackintosh to be..

Im currently downloading JaS' AMD Intel sse2 sse3 ppf1 and ppf2.iso

and a couple of other 10.4.8 images that dont really say much else bar 10.4.8

The first one to try will be JaS'

I think the p.c has a IDE HD.. not sure though if not im assuming it'll just be easier to just go and get a IDE drive?

According to wiki the graphics card should work.. and is it my understanding that theres still not dual core support where both with work for hackintosh's?

Cheers!!

If anyone can see where im coming a cropper with hardware/software so far please let me know :P

If this works then i'll hackintosh my 'dare i say it' loved vista ultimate modded hp laptop which is running far better than it ever used to on XP

But mac OS is far better hence the hackintosh want :D

Cheers again

DellIntosh

It probably would work fine but honestly, you will be better if you buy all the components separate and assemble it yourself (is not much more complicated than playing with lego). In that way you can make shure that all the components are supported and you'll probably get a better machine for the same money.

I personally prefer Intel CPUs and chipsets (is what Intel macs have inside)... and Nvidia cards.

cheer man i havent bought the p.c yet but i was thinking about doing that - the p.c's quite cheap though for what spec it is.. or what i thought anyway

I'll certainly look into it! also been crusing through people's setups on here for ideas :D

I was also thinking about going down the intel line.. are people having generally more sucess with intels then?

Hi

Have to say that to was a Noob looking for a simple working Hackintosh and erred on the side of getting a Dell but to be honest after reading the How to by Diabolik using the Asus P5LD2-VM, I was hooked this is a simple effective working solution I might look at another system based around the intel bad Axe but its a more expensive option.

I have now got it upgraded to 10.4.10 and have been using it as my main machine for a couple of months. It even now has a new slimline Mac ali keyboard. Next step is a graphics card and a another stick of mem and pretty much done.

If you are unsure I started this project with a Celeron D and then upgraded to the core duo I built the original proof of concept with that processor and the cheapest parts I could find from Aria and Ebuyer and a £1.00 mouse and Keyboard from Tesco's.

Having done a few self build windows machines this was easy or easier.

PS it came to under £200 so a better buy me thinks as you can use known compatible components.

regards Jez

the Gigabyte 945GZM is also fully compatible. ICH7 chip (SATA, USB, etc supported), ALC883 (all 6 channels supported), GMA950 integrated graphics (qe/ci supported), Realtek 8110 network (supported). Is a really cheap board (like 50-60.eur) and support lots of socket 775 CPUs (celeron, pentuim, core duo). The only cons I found is that it doesnt support the core extreme procs or quad core....

cheers for the fast replys!I've only ever built 1 p.c before and that was an age ago plus with a mates help.. so im not massively familiar with the brands/names of partsis that Gigabyte 945GZ a mobo i guesswhats the ICH7 chip? harddrive controller?alc883 is clearly sound (see what i did there?)If all is supported.. then i'll certainly go ahead and hunt down that'un!to add.. im just unfamiliar with brand names/model numbers so if you could mention what they are.. :( that'd be cracking!Cheers chaps.. im 5.2% downloaded and at 4.2kbps its going to take a while!some quick ebay and ebuyer checks dont find those two mobo's ebay has the asus one mind.. il now watching :DIm trying to find out what mobo the dell has..

the gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 was just a suggestion. It works good and is cheap, but theres a couple more of boards you can choose to run OSX on. Everything depends on how much money you want to spend. Lots of people are using also this board. Asus has some hits too...

The board is the most important thing. I would look for one with Intel 945G (ICH7) or 965P (ICH8) chipset. The CPU also depends in how much money you want to spend. You can choose from a Intel celeron D to a quad core (if the board support it). You want at least 1G ram (2 would be better) and SATA HD. Nvidia are the most supported graphics cards; you could get a cheap FX5200 or something better like a 7600GT. If you dont play games maybe you 're ok with the onboard graphics (945G-the 'G' stands for graphics).

Do a search in the forum to get more information.

cheers bud im not really a gamer, just use my pooter for word processing, surfing the net, powerpoint, some limited graphics and fair amount of music stuff really..

I want something of dual core around 2.4 and 2gb ram.. and a fat harddrive

i think i know the answer to this already.. but is it worth researching and building your own or buying a good solid base and dealing with the hassels later?

I liked the idea of the Dell one as it comes with lisenced vista.. something i dont have :) and i was thinking of dual booting the badboy

something which might be out of my water atm!

Still no luck on finding what the mother board is

Il do my digging and post back soon!

I do feel a tendancy to just go for the dell.. as with sound i use an external card which is apparently already compatable) and dont use ethernet.. i'd have to buy a wireless expansion card which again i rekon i could find..

its just the onboard graphics and general compatability.

Decisions! :unsure