Will my Processor Work?

brenden

15 posts in this topic

I have an AMD processor, but it's an AMD Turion 64 Mobile, that supports SSE3, is OSx86 even worth trying? I know AMD Athlon 64 works, but what about Turion? I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows XP and I plan on getting rid of Windows completely and just having Mac OS

The processor is fine, but to know if OS X will work on your system depends on many other factors. It would help to know the specifics of the rest of your system.

Alright, which ones would you need?

I have included a screen shot of a piece of the My Computer properties.

post-137040-1190599775_thumb.png

The processor is OK...We need the rest of your system info, not the CPU info (motherboard, video, audio, LAN, etc.)

Also, just a tip: Don't delete Windows until you've got Mac OS X working good. Wouldn't it be a shame if OS X wouldn't install for some reason and you couldn't get access to the internet to post back...

It would help if you told us what model laptop you have so we can find out more detailed specs on your PC

@pcwiz:

I have my XP cd readily available if needed, ill just re-install that and be sad, and my files are ready to be backed-up ...

@someguy360:

Ok, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 : http://search.dell.com/searchcom_redirect....94-4d9d982bea69

I was wondering, would it work if I got OSx86 and burned it to a DVD, and just booted to that? instead of going through all that work with VMware?

I want to take the easiest way possible, I just want Mac OS. If it ends up being really hard to get, I'll do it, but I'm looking for an easy way, if an "easy" way isn't possible I'll just follow the instructions mentiooned above.

It doesn't matter. Just create a partition thats large enough and MAKE SURE you format it as FAT32 before you start installing OS X.

As for VMware, VMware Workstation which is mentioned in the guide I linked to you is not free. But, there is a version of VMware with the same functionality which is 100% free:

http://www.vmware.com/server/

Don't make a partition with VMware. Just create another partition formatted as FAT32, and give VMware access to JUST that partition for the installation procedure (the instructions are in the guide I told you). Yes, you can keep your Windows install. Just make another partition.