PCWiz, VMWare hacks--Boot OSX either virtual/physical?

12 posts in this topic

I have a very nice Lenovo T61p with rosetta, lots of memory, sierra wireless AT&T card built in, nVidia Quadro FX 570m, etc. I really wanted a mac, but my company wouldn't bite. So I am hackintoshing it. If I could get the full funcationality--AT&T card, good graphics, (I believe wireless works since it's the Intel 82665 rosetta chipset), sleep and hibernate, i would go full bore hack, but we know how hard that is and Leopard is coming out shortly....

So, my next step was to leverage VMware workstation 6 per your guide PCWiz, but with the idea of using a phsycial partition (one I could boot too) similar to http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=60924. Obvisouly it's not working on a single drive because of two active partitions and the need to change them around (VMware doesn't like new partitions). My question is whether it's possible to boot the same system to either VMware or physical (Vista boot loader). My system is a bit of a pain because it has a special hidden Lenovo partition for emergency restore, etc. I have ordered another drive to make this happen that I will plop into my ultrabay. Provided it's possible, off I will go and if I suceed, then try and set up the Hack to support booting Windows with Fusion :-) Thanks for letting me know! cheers - jl

The process of installing OS X on a seperate partition is quite simple. You create a new Primary Partition, give VMware access TO JUST THAT PARTITION, and you install OS X as normal. Then you can use the Chain0 method to boot OS X using the Windows XP bootloader.

Post back if you need any more help.

Can I then boot that either using VMware or natively with the Vista boot manager to the same install? I had sucess installing JAS under VMware onto a phycisal partition, it rebooted upon completion and came up, but then hung mid-boot. Upon reboot I get the message that the partition disk layout has changed, delete and readd resource. If I do that, then I get a boot0 error. Uphuck 1.4ir3 worked better in physical mode. With that I installed it and it would not reboot to the active partition (3) in my case, but when I did the chain0 method through boot loader, it worked. My disk layout is:

Emergency primary partition (Thinkpad)

Vista primary partition (bootloader)

OSX Extended journaled primary partition.

Thus I was looking to use another drive where there will be no primary partition issues. Thanks a mil - jl

You can boot it using VMware or by using the Vista bootloader. Instructions to boot using Vista bootloader: http://coolblog.profit42.com/2007/04/07/os...indows-machine/

Skip everything up to Step 7 and continue.

And also, what did you create the partition with? You first have to create a partition formatted as FAT32 (for the OS X Installer to recognize) and then in the installation process, you eventually format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You have to start up with the new partition formatted as FAT32 for the OS X installer to recognize the partition.

Thanks again. I created it so that OSX would recognize it and then formated it over to HPS+Journaled per the directions. Problems remained the same with it not wanting to load under VMware because it wants to be a primary partition. Will try again and report back. Have you booted a physical OSX86 partition through VMware and natively?

Beautiful! I have JAS 10.4.8, which I upgraded to 10.4.10 installed. Boots fine if I tag the partition as active, chain0 is not working (worked fine with Uphuck). I cannot; however, boot with VMware. I am getting a b0 error, which means it's confused on partitions etc.... Guess emulation will have to wait for my drive. cheers- jl

:-) I am not that bad that I would not read the guides and search the forums. You switched over to Uphuck except on VMware! You were a big JAS proponent in your posts. The darwin boot loader has taken over my system with the JAS install and I can boot to Windows from it, but not if I tag my windows partition and try and use boot0. That is not my big concern. I am now furiously trying to get the graphics working and once that happens, I will be very happy. Thanks for the posts, help, and comments. Your guide is superb.

I switched to Uphuck for native installs but JaS is the all time ruler for VMware. His DVDs work flawlessly with 90% of computers on VMware. I have recieved tons of installation success emails from the users of my guide and JaS didn't work for only 2 of them! I might be able to help you with your graphics. What is your graphics card?

Had an interesting experience today. I have three partitions. One Win95 (was hidden, I unhid it) for Lenovo recovery, then Vista, then a ex-FAT32. As I mentioned, the darwin loader took over my system! So I decided to install uphuck over JAS since it supports boot0 quite nicely. Well, I put the CD in and when booting up to CD natively it can't see the hard disk (not sure what's going on there). So I try the VM and voila, it starts on the CD, but is passed to the partition and JAS comes up. Normally when I try and use the VM on a primary parition where I have a native install I get a boot0 error. I was blown away.

Anyway, I have a Quadro FX 570M in my Lenovo T61P. It's extremely similar to the 8600GT with the same memory bandwidth (128MB), direct x 10, openGL 2.1 support, etc. The mac book pros use geforce 8600GTs (128MB for 15" aqnd 256 for 17"). There are drivers for it ( http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... ate10.html). Why no 8600 support?

The real delta is that the 570M uses the G86 GPU whereas the 8600GT is on the G84GPU. So, since I am simply a next gen 8600GT that should be able to do everything that the 8600GT can do, can I simply swap out the device ID from the 0x0402 of the 8600GT (256MB config) to my 0x040c (256MB of VRAM)? Any guidance appreciated!!!!