what is netkas?

BeefWelington

14 posts in this topic

I've been searching and searching but can't find any helpful info about installing uphuck on my laptop, especially not at the uphuck forums. All I know is I'm getting a blinking cursor at boot for some reason. The wiki entry on my laptop is as follows:

Lifebook T421X

- CPU: Intel Core (2) Duo TXX00

- HDD: Fujitsu SATA 60+GB

- RAM: DDR2-667 memory, 2 slots. (Recognised as 333mhz DDR memory)

- LAN: Marvell Yukon2 88E8055 + Modified kext plist

- SND: Intel HDA Bus Sigmatel 9228 CODEC Partial support + Taruga 1.15

- DVD-RW: MAT{censored}A UJ-841Db

- DIGI: Wacom Penabled 12.1" + Modified kext plist + TabletMagic for TabletPC's

- ACPI: Intel onboard + Modified bundle

- APM: Intel Integrated - Nonfunctional

- CARD: O2Micro OZ711MP1/MS1 on PCI Bus 8 - Not enumerated.

- MMC: O2Micro Class 0805 on PCI Bus 8 - Not enumerated.

- WLAN: Atheros AR5006EG on PCI Bus 5 - Not enumerated.

- GFX0: Intel GMA945GM on PCI-E bus 0 + 4 kexts from Real Intel Mac.

- DISP0: on GFX0 (Recognised as type:LCD)

- PCI: Buses 5 and 8 nonfunctional because of gaps in enumerated buses. Needs custom driver built.

- MDM: Agere Systems HDA Modem on PCI Bus 1 - Driver WIP from linux HDA

-------------------------------

So what is "Netkas Jewjitsu"? I can't seem to find anything at all, and I don't know what it does, but apparently I need it. Anybody know where to find it and how to install it?

The description probably refers to the netkas patch for the loginwindow.app problem (I could be wrong). Netkas is the nick of a guy that has released many files for OSX. Here's his web blog: http://netkas.freeflux.net/

hecker

By the way, web blog is redundant, as the term blog is short for weB LOG. I guess that is one of my pet peeves, just like people using the term ATM machine.

Wow, way to derail my thread.

Could anybody giving advice please clarify a little?

I've selected "MBR" before my installation. That I already tried. Didn't work.

The "boot flag" solution doesn't help. First of all, there's nobody who clarifies which partition should be flagged as "boot". There are two partitions: one is the main storage partition, and the other is a 200mb fat32 partition. Which one gets flagged? Which one actually has the OS installed on it? I doubt OSX is only 200mb big, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I tried flagging each partition, and then both. Neither gets it to boot.

Perhaps there are some BIOS settings I should change? ANYTHING?

Could anybody giving advice please clarify a little?

I've selected "MBR" before my installation. That I already tried. Didn't work.

The "boot flag" solution doesn't help. First of all, there's nobody who clarifies which partition should be flagged as "boot". There are two partitions: one is the main storage partition, and the other is a 200mb fat32 partition. Which one gets flagged? Which one actually has the OS installed on it? I doubt OSX is only 200mb big, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I tried flagging each partition, and then both. Neither gets it to boot.

Perhaps there are some BIOS settings I should change? ANYTHING?

Sorry for the off topics!

First, make sure that you have selected the drive you're installing OSX on as your default boot disk in your BIOS.

Then, when you have to make sure that you partition your drive correctly. The partition holding OSX should be primary and NOT extended (I would also recommend that you use hfs as your file system and not fat32). You also need to select the MBR option (but you already know that).

You didn't clarify which utility or method you are using to flag/modify your partition tables. Please elaborate.

You may be having trouble because of your SATA drive. If so, you could try with an external USB HDD.

If nothing else works, you could always try a different installation disc.

I hope this helps.

hecker

<br />The partition holding OSX should be primary and NOT extended (I would also recommend that you use hfs as your file system and not fat32). You also need to select the MBR option (but you already know that).<br />You didn't clarify which utility or method you are using to flag/modify your partition tables. Please elaborate.<br />You may be having trouble because of your SATA drive. If so, you could try with an external USB HDD.<br />If nothing else works, you could always try a different installation disc. <br /><br />I hope this helps.<br /><br />hecker<br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />the partition holding OSX should be primary and not extended... Where do I select this option?<br /><br />And I've been using the GNOME Partition live CD to flag my drive. But what I don't understand is that after formatting the drive and installing, I check the drive with the Gpart CD and it's got two partitions: one is fat32 and the other is hfs+. So three questions: which actually holds OSX, which should I flag, and is it okay that it's formatted like that? By the way, the hard drive is completely dedicated to this install, no other OSes exist on the drive.<br /><br />oh, and if this is just not working for me as an install disk, which disk should I be using? Any suggestions? Is 10.4.8 more stable?

Maybe you just have to fix your MBR.

Boot from your install DVD, open a terminal window and type the following:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

that should recreate the MBR. Now reboot and see what happens.

Cheers,

hecker

PS: The hfs partition is the one holding OSX.