Document Encryption

r3ph0rm@t

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any advice on an encryption program for use in all operating systems? I am trying to encrypt a simple text or possibly spreadsheet document, but I want to be able to access the information no matter what OS I am on. I currently do most of communication on Mac and XP machines. This would be stored on a cd for distribution through sneaker-net. :-)

Thanks in advance,

Rephormat

What kind of encryption do you have in mind? If it's just a simple text file, you could use a encrypted zip or rar archive.

Cheers,

hecker

You know I thought about that right after I posted this. And it does seem like a good solution. I guess my only concern is what encryption level is it? I find myself having to keep up with too many passwords and would like to keep a document on my computer that contains most of them (hence the concern for high security and encryption) aside from financial institutions obviously. I tried looking up PGP (Pretty Good Privacy), but they are no longer offering a freeware version of their software. Do you think the 7zip encryption will be enough security?

7-Zip supports encryption with the AES-256 algorithm which is a pretty high level of encryption. So yeah, that would be a good way to go. Try to make your password non-dictionary based and also long enough.

Cheers,

hecker

Thanks for the advice, Hecker! I am in using 7zip encryption as we speak.