X1900XT Video Card

7 posts in this topic

I have a working installation of OSX 10.4.10 from the TubGirl release. My video card, an ATi X1900XT Stock (not Sapphire or HIS, etc.), works with the JCCool installer.

However, that installer is not meant for my card. I had to resort to it as no Natit Installer worked, and the Boris method doesn't work since TubGirl doesn't have the stock ATi drivers. When I play an OpenGL game, I get a lot of strange shadows, and texture tiling.

Is there anyway to get the Apple ATi drivers for 10.4.10, or any method of installing Natit? In the wiki, there are reports of the card working, but I'm almost positive that's with a 10.4.8 installation. Should there be any difference?

I would just like to have my card work in OSX, and be able to play OpenGL games without rendering problems.

Any help would be appreciated!

JCCool installer works for both x1900xt and x1950xt cards, DevID of x1900xt cards is in apples ati drivers to begin with so simply upgrading the apple ati drivers works fine, JCCools drivers is a modified Natit injector btw.

What games do you get problems with?

World of Warcraft is the game I'm having problems with. Shadows are corrupted, and textures are tiled.

EDIT - Just reread your post."DevID of x1900xt cards is in apples ati drivers to begin with so simply upgrading the apple ati drivers works fine"

So, if I could get my hands on the Apple ATi drivers, and edit them with the Boris method, it should work? I will start on that, and await any more replies. Thank you!

EDIT 2 - I just went to the ATi site, and there are no drivers for the X1900XT Intel Macs. Closest one I could find was one for the PPC Architecture. Is there any way of getting the Apple ATi Drivers?

EDIT 3 - After some more research, I found out about some 10.4.9 ATi Kexts. I'm guessing these are the Apple Ati Drivers. Do these work with 10.4.10? I'm guessing so, but I'll hold off on any installation of these drivers using the Boris method, as the only way I know to remove the JCCool drivers would be to reinstall OSX from VMWare.

I've read some more threads in the Mac Gaming forum, and it seems that having a "10.4.5 ATINDRV.kext" helps get rid of OpenGL errors for AGP cards. Does that help PCIe cards (like mine)?

To clarify, I've tried the Natit_Uni installer, and the X1900 one from http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/index.html. Natit Uni causes a freeze on boot up (documented, it uses kexts from 10.4.8 of something like that), and the X1900 from that website gives me a blue screen. I've tried all the possible combinations of switching monitor ports, and even going from DVI to a DVI-VGA adapter. I'm running off of the VGA adapter right now, but I know DVI works with JCCool's edited Natit.

I'm sure it's possible to get a fully working X1900 with no issues in OpenGL, but there just doesn't seem to be much information on it.

I also saw your post Delish, although it was from January. That screen looks just like my WoW, with the strange lines on the textures, and I disabled shadows to remove the corruption. Did you get it fixed, and if so, how?

I'll look into figuring out how to uninstall the JCCool drivers.

EDIT 4 - Looks like I found out how to remove it, and from none other than Delish.

I just saw the X1900 natit installer again, and it has the 10.4.9 ATi Kexts. I could remove all Jccool and ATi Kexts, install just the 10.4.9 Kexts (not natit), and try editing them with the Boris method. Ugh, there is so little information on this subject, I'll wait for more responses, especially Delish :)

Wow, so many edits...

EDIT 5 - I'll recap everything up to the point I'm at now. Delish, you seem very knowledgeable about this subject. Also, I'm in the process of reading the whole JCCool thread, and we have the same cards (X1900XT). It sounds like you were able to get your card to work perfectly. Mine is perfect as well, with everything enabled (CI, QE, 2DQE, etc.), except for the corruption in OpenGL games. As it seems you got your card working with JCCool's drivers, I wont look into the Boris method . I'll finish reading the whole JCCool thread, and await your response! I'll PM you later, if you forget this thread (the website crashed for a while today).

I'm going to download WoW now, and install and test it out. Perhaps the corruption will leave if I use a DVI-VGA adapter, although that is doubtful.

Anxiously awaiting your response Delish! ;)

To keep it short, you need apples ATI drivers thats in the appropriate version of your OSX version, you can get those from dl a combo or delta upgrade package from apple, and extract them with pacifist, if the one you have isnt already up to date. And you need the JCCool driver (the Natit.kext in it). The apple ATI drivers included with JCCool package are from 10.4.9 iirc.

Charter shadows in mac version seems to be a common bug, turn it of in preferences.

Running Wow in windowed mode (maximized) takes away the crossing on the ground textures.

To keep it short, you need apples ATI drivers thats in the appropriate version of your OSX version, you can get those from dl a combo or delta upgrade package from apple, and extract them with pacifist, if the one you have isnt already up to date. And you need the JCCool driver (the Natit.kext in it). The apple ATI drivers included with JCCool package are from 10.4.9 iirc.

Charter shadows in mac version seems to be a common bug, turn it of in preferences.

Running Wow in windowed mode (maximized) takes away the crossing on the ground textures.

Thanks, I'm downloading the 10.4.10 Combo update right now, since JCCool uses the 10.4.9 ones right? I will get the Natit.kext from JCCool's package with Pacifist as well.

For now, disabling Character shadows works. However, running in a windowed mode, even maximized, doesn't remove the texture tiling. Does using the Apple drivers work?

You told me to get the apple ATI drivers, but how do I install them? Just use the Easy Kext installer? Should I use the Boris method to install them? Do I do the same for the Natit in JCCool?

When all my downloads finish, I will completely remove all ATI and JCCool Natit drivers from my system, and try out a combination of what I think may work.

Could you tell me exactly how you got your own system to work?

Yes! It works! Thank you so much Delish!

You know I had the same problem just today. But I remembered that WOW was working great with shadows but now was awful. I have like 4 different installs of OS X. Two 4.9's and one 4.10 all had bad shadows in WOW. But One 4.9 ran perfect. So I just copyed all the ATI* and the nat and the Opengl from Frameworks (had to do chown for the nat) and put it in to the other installs to test and ALL 4 installs run WOW perfect. Oh my card of OS X is X1900XT.

guys guys cracked this nut a few months ago.

setup (asus P5W deluxe with saphire X1900 XT (512)

its not the video driver thats faulty Jcool works realy well

its the kernal thats faulty upgrade it

any way i had this same trouble with wow , there where some other issue's 2

i was running 10.4.8 i upgrades to 10.4.9 the horror like you sad bad shading

any way after the kernel up date it was all over for me. i musth say the driver is slow

my system runs wow a lot better in windows. but its defo playable