Erase Disk to Mac (Journaled) not doing anything..

Ashgotti

5 posts in this topic

So I'm using a T42 with a new 60GB, 7200RPM ATA HDD. On the old HDD, 40GB 5400RPM, I was able to make a partition fat32, pop in Jas' DVD and erase it no problems. On this new one, I make the partition (tried with partition magic and acronis) but when I erase it during install, it just keeps it at FAT32. I tried right clicking the partition and clicking erase but it says there is a problem with my permissions...

ideas guys?

So I'm using a T42 with a new 60GB, 7200RPM ATA HDD. On the old HDD, 40GB 5400RPM, I was able to make a partition fat32, pop in Jas' DVD and erase it no problems. On this new one, I make the partition (tried with partition magic and acronis) but when I erase it during install, it just keeps it at FAT32. I tried right clicking the partition and clicking erase but it says there is a problem with my permissions...

ideas guys?

Try formatting the partition to FAT32, then set the partition's type to 'AF' - this can be done under windows as well as linux [i find the latter easier]. This thread may be an interesting read concerning the AF type.

Linux instructions. These have been tested with Ubuntu and work from the live disk as well:

in terminal type:

sudo cfdisk, enter password

select OSX's partition with the up/down arrows, then use the left/right arrows to select the 'type' option, then hit enter twice and type 'AF' for type [it's not listed, you have to type it yourself].

Then exit, reboot and start the OSX installer. Here, open the disk utility and select freshly created FAT32 partition, format ['erase'] it to Mac Journaled Filesystem [HFS+], exit disk utility and resume the installatio

Windows instructions:

first create a piece of unpartitioned hard drive where you want OSX to go [using, say, Partition Magic 8]:

now:

click: Start -> Run

type: diskpart (enter)

type: list disk (enter) <--- Now locate the hard drive on which you have the unpartitioned space

type: select disk 0 (enter) <--- Use the number from the previous step

type: create partition primary id=af <-- This will create a primary partition of type 'AF' that will fill the unpartitioned hard drive space

alternatively, you could type: 'create partition primary size=xxxxx id=af' <-- where size is the size for the partition [in megabytes, i believe]

now you can

type: set active <-- Beware with this step! This will set whichever partition is currently selected as the bootable partition.

To ensure you get this correct you could do the following:

start diskpart as above, then:

type: list disk

type: select disk <--- The hard drive on which you have the partition for OS X

type: list partition

type: select partition x <-- x being the partition which OS X will be installed on

type: set active

Now reboot and try to install OS X on the freshly formatted partition. Should anything go wrong, you'll need a program to change the active partition back to the windows partition in order to boot that.

Hope this works

i had same prob with JaS 10.4.8 distro.i solved using 10.4.5 distro for formating partitions.

i don`t know now and why but it`s just work ...

~R