Atheros on lap not working

halonapster

27 posts in this topic

Guest BuildSmart
lets bump this thing once more. i got a AR5007EG as well. could really use a working driver for it.

A friend brought one over last night in the hopes that I cold make it work and I did.

It took some time to figure out, unless the main ID's are right, the Atheros card wont work cause there are 2 driver options available, the AR5007EG card does work, this is compatible with the apple 11b card but the problem arises in what has been enabled in your card, the apple 11g driver expects to find 11a, 11b and 11g and it tries to initialize both bands on the card, most cards are only 11b and 11g and don't support the 5ghz band so using the Airport a/b/g driver is a wash but if you re-ID the card to the apple 11b ID's but use the Atheros generic subsystem ID's the card works by loading the 11b driver and yes it still does 11g.

For those who don't know how to change the ID's, I couldn't find a tutorial worth the reading so I cant tell you where to start other than starting with google.

A friend brought one over last night in the hopes that I cold make it work and I did.

It took some time to figure out, unless the main ID's are right, the Atheros card wont work cause there are 2 driver options available, the AR5007EG card does work, this is compatible with the apple 11b card but the problem arises in what has been enabled in your card, the apple 11g driver expects to find 11a, 11b and 11g and it tries to initialize both bands on the card, most cards are only 11b and 11g and don't support the 5ghz band so using the Airport a/b/g driver is a wash but if you re-ID the card to the apple 11b ID's but use the Atheros generic subsystem ID's the card works by loading the 11b driver and yes it still does 11g.

For those who don't know how to change the ID's, I couldn't find a tutorial worth the reading so I cant tell you where to start other than starting with google.

So...you able to get this card working? Can you share with us how you did it?