What would be the Best Partition Scheme?

Sapam

5 posts in this topic

I have the following 3 HDD:

ATA 80GB: Want to install WinXP and OSX86

SATA 80GB: Empty as for now

SATA 80GB: Used to store all my Softwares and Data etc. ( so can't do much with this )

Below is the scheme i am planning of:

ATA 80GB: ( 3 primary partitions )

..(1) 20GB - WindowsXP

..(2) 40GB - OSX Tubgirl

..(3) 14GB - FAT32 to exchange data between OSX and XP.

SATA 80GB: ( 2 Primary partitions )

..(1) 30GB - NTFS to install Games and Games

..(2) 46GB - Mac Journal Extended ( For Mac Stuffs )

I initially thought of installing the 3rd OS as ( Ubuntu or OpenSuse ) but i think i better stick with 2 OSes only.

Also, i would like to know how convinient will it be to put the /Users/ in the second HDD (SATA)?

And how can i make best use of the config.

I am planning to do the reinstall and config of my hdd this weekend so, i would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

My Usage will be lot's of photos and videos. Both editing and storing.

I think that spanning different file systems and OS files across your drives is a big no-no. I would keep all OSX stuff on one drive (and on different partitions, if required) and the rest on the other. A major plus would be that you could use your BIOS as an OS selector and that you could remove any of the drives without compromising your OSs.

Also, i would like to know how convenient will it be to put the /Users/ in the second HDD (SATA)?
This may seem like a good idea, but it will require some system tuning. De-centralizing your system like that will also make backing up your system a little more difficult.

Cheers,

hecker

This may seem like a good idea, but it will require some system tuning. De-centralizing your system like that will also make backing up your system a little more difficult.

Actually, it makes it easier because you can quickly and easily format and reinstall you OS without having to worry about you user data. Once you reinstall, you simply relink the user folder and you have all your data back. Its not all that difficult either, it takes one simple Terminal command to do it.

ln -s /Volumes/NewDrive/Users /Users

Where NewDrive is the name of the drive you are putting the users folder on.

Actually, it makes it easier because you can quickly and easily format and reinstall you OS without having to worry about you user data. Once you reinstall, you simply relink the user folder and you have all your data back. Its not all that difficult either, it takes one simple Terminal command to do it.
Yes, you can do that but then you wouldn't be able to boot your OS if the Users partition got broken. And that's where it's starts getting complicated for ya...

I stumbled across this great article googleing around. Let us know how it went if you follow it. http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...007041217125440

Cheers,

hecker

Well, i am also not sure moving the user to another drive will be better or keeping the data's into another drive be better.

My Usages are:

1) I'll have a library of 10,000+ high res photos each will be about 2-4MB and will keep growing ( i shoot photographs as hobby )

2) Some songs mp3's

3) A library of youTube Videos and tutorials along with some movies.

4) My Personal Projects both 2d and 3d graphics

I want to use iPhoto to manage the photos

And also similar software to manage my video and movie libraries.

So, whats the best suggestion for me? should i just create a link like:

ln -s /Volume/<my other hdd>/data /User/<myname>/data

and keep everything in there.

And how will iPhoto and others react to that.?